ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
Good quote from that article - Repub voter who might switch....

"Up until the last 18 months, I was leaning toward Bush, but the more that happens (there) the worse it gets," Schlichting said. "He sticks to his guns, but his aim is so far off that sticking to his guns is not paying off."

To flip over an earlier election quote about wisdom, in the case of Bush and Co "Experience and stupidity are NOT mutually exclusive"

or even Kerry's own " you can be certain and you can be WRONG" salvo when Bush claime he was "certain" the Iraq war was the right thing to do. :cool:

and just to add to the fun of a very close election...a new wrinkle

CBS) 
Electoral Quagmire-In-Waiting?

A 5-4 vote in Washington determined the last presidential election. A 5-4 split of Colorado's electoral votes could determine the next one.

When Colorado voters go to the polls in four weeks they won't just be electing a president; they will be determining via ballot initiative whether the state's nine electoral votes ought to be split proportionately based upon the results of the election. If the measure passes, in other words, instead of getting all nine Electoral College votes, the winner of the state's popular vote almost certainly would get only five of those votes; the loser almost certainly would get four. Had the proposed change been in place in 2000, Al Gore would be president today. And if the initiative passes, it very well could determine whether George Bush keeps his job or John Kerry takes it.

That's because, if it passes, the initiative, labeled "Amendment 36" on the ballot, will go into effect on Nov 3 — the day after the election. That means that when the vote in Colorado is certified, when the state's "presidential electors" are selected, and when they go to Washington to cast their votes in the Electoral College, the law in Colorado will direct them to divide themselves proportionately. Colorado voters therefore will be deciding in this upcoming election whether they want to change the rules in Colorado for this upcoming election. Who says life is laid back in the Rocky Mountain West?
and Colorado is a small swing state

·
Canadian By Choice
116,697 Posts
IronMan, if every American saw the Fifth Estate the other night on the CBC, Bush and Cheney would be headed off to Salt Spring Island asking Macnutt for work/sanctuary. I only hope that Kerry nails Bush in the next two debates.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
if every American saw the Fifth Estate the other night on the CBC, Bush and Cheney would be headed off to Salt Spring Island asking Macnutt for work/sanctuary.
Dr. G.,
I missed it. Please share.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,697 Posts
Go to the CBC website for the info on the show and the details. I don't want to misquote their facts, but it WAS shocking. :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: Needless to say, I fear Cheney even more now than I did last week.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This has been a fascinating week or so. After months of not putting a foot wrong we have:

-Bush clearly the weaker candidate in the debate.
-Paul Bremer criticizing the administration for not sending enough troops for the aftermath of the Iraq war.
-Donald Rumsfeld contradicting past statements by Bush by saying he knew of no links between Saddam Hussein and Al Quaeda/what happened on Sept 11th.

If I were Kerry, my only concern would be that I was peaking too early... there's still a month to go.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The Fifth Estate special on Cheney is being rebroadcast at the following times:

Sunday, October 10th at 3:00 a.m. & 8:00 p.m.
Tuesday, October 12th at 10:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 13th at 1:00 a.m & 4:00 a.m.
All times are Eastern Standard Time. Check your local listings for times in your area.

But if you miss it, there's also an excellent website on the program.

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
You can bet it's going to get a lot more vicious - it's an entrenched and embattled and also politcally savvy administration that WANTS to stay in power big time.

Who knows what they'll get up to.

Producing Bin Laden a possibility tho I think Saddam is an embarrassment at this point.

I suspect Kerry and Edwards are NOT thrilled with what they are forced into doing as counterweight tho I can bet Edwards is used to it from his corporate wars.

If Kerry wins I think he will be a one term president and it will weight very heavily on him the responsibility.
There is a Lincolnesque aspect to him. The tall dour, thoughtful northerner with a fractured nation to deal with.
:(

I wish him well.....I do not envy his task win or lose.

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
On my list of recommended topics today, regarding John Kerry's approaching victory over George W. Bush.

·
peek-a-boo
16,225 Posts
ah, a thread to find some solace in. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts