Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my second Mac may be only 2-3 weeks away. The plan is that my parents need a computer so they'll be taking my 3 month old iBook 900 while they purchase a better one for me. Sweet deal if you ask me :cool: But my biggest concern is if 2-3 weeks from now a good buying time for a new ibook or powerbook. My fisrt buying experience wasn't too pleasant as I just bought my iBook when the G4 line up was announced, this left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. So I'm wondering if in 2-3 weeks from now I'm in danger of purchasing a powerbook just as a speed bump will be announced. or maybe if waiting 2 months may be a better option.

Thanks for the advice!! ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I make all my Apple purchases immediately following some action from the mothership. So have the money ready, and when they lower the price or upgrade the model, be ready to act.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well that's a tough call, I would personally wait a few weeks until the 24th, just to see if prices go down, or new models come out.

Might be worth the wait :D

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Well the switch from G3 to G4 in the iBooks was a big move; not just your typical speed bump. These big moves don't happen that often, so if you're looking to buy any Apple laptop, i wouldn't worry about it. For example, I don't see the Powerbooks going G5 any time soon. And, the G4 processors seem stuck at around 1.5GHz, so any upgrades will be incremental... that's my guess.

And then, there's ALWAYS gonna be SOMETHING "soon" that'll invoke buyers remorse, even if it is a speed bump two months down the road. it's a catch-22. So generally, I'd say buy when YOU'RE ready.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
The handy-dandy buyers' guide at Macrumors says that you ought to be okay for the next while. The G4 bump-up was probably the biggest thing you'll see in the iBook until later in 2004. Some have speculated that there might be a change in the form of this model, but I'm guessing that they're too busy trying to get the G5 to run cool enough in the PowerBook.

Just my two cents...

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I heard a rumour that in 2006 computers are going to be faster than they are today. And get this => they're gonna be CHEAPER too!! Maybe the best bet is to wait until then!

I actually agree with what tonyhere mentioned. Either buy the new model when the new ones are announced, or buy the old models when the new models are announced. I usually end up buying the discontinued models in order to maximize the !/$ (bang for the buck) quotient...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'll second ekkcondon : wait until January 24th or the SuperBowl. If Apple has new stuff coming, I CAN'T believe they would miss these two opportunities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.