Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a descent web cam, The isight would be great but i don't have $200+ to spend on a web cam I'll only be using to video chat with my family once and a while with.
Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Unfortunately, if you want simple plug 'n' play with iChatAV, the iSight is the only option. No other web cam works with iChatAV without modifications, extra programs and files.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I guess i should of added I won't be using iChatAV. I'll be using it for Mac to PC video via Yahoo messanger or whatever other third party chat system there is out there.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
In that case, look at Logitech's line of products - they sell some pretty good web cams that work well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
lars, that simply isn't true.

I have an iBot firewire camera that I bought for $49 at Radio Shack and it works out of the box with iChat AV. No modifications or other programs required.

I got it on sale, I guess they were getting rid of them The seem to go for about $125 anywhere else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not that it matters since he's not looking for a firewire camera. I just wanted to give you an FYI.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I have an iBot firewire camera that I bought for $49 at Radio Shack and it works out of the box with iChat AV. No modifications or other programs required.
Sorry - I should of mentioned any USB web cams don't work with iChatAV without extra 3rd-party help. iChatAV only supports FireWire-based web cams.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
"Sorry - I should of mentioned any USB web cams don't work with iChatAV without extra 3rd-party help. iChatAV only supports FireWire-based web cams."

FYI, it also supports any firewire connected DV Camera which is WebCam capable. In my experience that is most newer DV's.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
FYI, it also supports any firewire connected DV Camera which is WebCam capable. In my experience that is most newer DV's.
True, but DV Cameras aren't, technically speaking, considered "web cams."

·
Registered
160 Posts
No sweat, Lars. Like I said: FYI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally speaking, I'll never touch another Logitech cam again after finding myself abandoned by them with a fairly new camera and OSX support. I have an iSight now and its an excellent device.

In a galaxy far far away, in 95, I gave a demonstration to one of Vancouver's Mac user groups on this "new thing" called the Internet ( I worked for Wimsey, who were very Mac friendly) and the most effective part of that demo was dragging out a b&w Quickcam I had just bought. We mucked about with CuSeeMe and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000; typically about $150, but I have seen them on sale at FutureShop, etc. for about $100. Works fine with iChatAV with iChatusbcam driver(US$9.95) with Logitech drivers in Jaguar or via icChatusbcam driver with macam driver (free) in Panther. Quality though is not up to iSight standards, but not bad... Macam will also support other, usually PC only, cheaper USB webcams in Jaguar and Panther. The list on the site is not up-to-date; better to check VersionTracker and MacUpdates for user reviews on which work. You may also find a used or new iBot or Kritter. Believe both are/were available in USB and Firewire versions.

Addendum: Here's link to patched Macam driver for Panther Macam/Panther , towards the bottom of the page.

[ January 19, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: HJS ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts