Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am missing my power-on button that is no-longer availble on the new apple keyboards.

Other than that large volume/button usb device , is there any other device (preffered smaller) that allows you to startup from your keyboard?

_F

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you referring to the griffin powermate, its acually not that big. The are under 2" round. You might want to consider on.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Look before you leap Nick, I found this out after I bought mine yesterday:

From the Griffin website:

PowerMate Support for Macs

Why can’t I get Soft Power On to work on my computer?

The Soft Power On feature of the PowerMate has been discontinued. Here's why we chose to do this.

The Soft Power On feature was very cool when it worked - the problem was it usually didn't. It only worked when the PowerMate is connected directly to a computer that supported this feature. Only very old Apple computers did and Apple no longer includes this feature in ANY of their current models. Windows PCs, PowerBook G4s, iBooks, eMacs, iMacs (Summer 2000 and Later), and PowerMac G4s (MDD and Later) did not support this feature at all.

Most people who bought the PowerMate for this feature were disappointed to then find that their 'computer' didnt support this feature. Rather than continuing to disappoint our customers - our fault or not - we chose to remove this rare capability altogether.

If you really need remote power on capabilities, here is a company that offers a Macintosh USB solution: Sophisticated Circuits- PowerKey Pro

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tanks Bjornbo for that clarification...

I did a google search for "Sophisticated Circuits- PowerKey Pro" and turned up a HUGE powerbar apparatus that didn't fit my needs at all.

I was hoping for a small dongle-like device that would fit into one of my keyboard's USB ports.

I can't get why Apple would discontinue such a straightforward useful thing like a power-on button.

I mean it's rediculous that to start up my mac I need to have access to the CPU. My setup has my CPU in a server room for security issues so that all hardware and data is locked away. MEANING I need to literally go to the other side of my home to turn on the cpu

I am hoping someone else will have other options for me...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Digital Gary, this is off topic, but I am curious.

If I click on your links above, Safari gives me a server not found error. On the other hand, it I copy and paste the URL into the browser window, it takes me right to the site, no problem.

This happens frequently and I am left wondering why?

Cheers

·
Registered
728 Posts
is it for security reasons that you cannot put your mac to sleep and wake up to password protected access?
i think apple wants/thinks every macuser puts their macs to sleep and don't really need to boot the cpu on each and every time.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Hey Sinc,

I don't know why you can't click them. I just ran around my office and checked 4 other system and they can all click them. 3 running Panther, and one Jaguar.

Very odd??

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Much thanks Digital_Gary ! I think this will do fine as long as it does what it promises.

_F

1 - 10 of 10 Posts