Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time hath come...
I seek one reviewer to join the Envy News/EnvyMac editorial team.

Interested applicants must meet the following criteria and requirements:

- PowerMac G4 owner (at home).
- 2.1 Megapixel digital camera or better.
- High-speed internet access at home.
- Ability to write.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Technically savvy regarding Mac OS 9/X and hardware/busses/ etc.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, reside in Canada, preferrably in Ontario or Quebec, but will consider other provinces.

Info about the position:

- Applicant with report to RtC and Neil Yates.
- Peers will decide what you are to review, initially. Over time, you can have some control, once trust is earned.
- All reviewed items can be kept by the reviewer. Items cannot be sold without prior consent from NeilY.
- Reviews will be primarly about Mac accessories, and can later branch out to peripherals and parts.
- Reviews to be initially published on Envy News until EnvyMac launches. Review could still be double-site published if item is PC compatible.
- Reviews to be no fewer than 1200 words. No less than six pictures. Please use a spell-checker capable word-processor, and use natural light when at all possible when photographing review sample (not camera flash).
- Frequency of review items to start at 1 per month, and to climb to 2 to 4 per month, depending on season/quarter, or candidate's free time.
- Individual must have free time to be able to review these items. Sorry, but I don't want university/college/high-school students, who are free now, but after you are trained and established as an asset to the site, you can no longer contribute. I don't have time to continually hire/train candidates.

Selected candidate will be required to fill-out a personal/site liability clause and mail it back to me. This was not a requirement in the past, but I was recently burned by a candidate I recruited from EhMac, and it turned out to be disastrous to me, the site, my wallet. It also burned bridges with two mid-sized Mac firms - one Retailer and one manufacturer. I'm not pleased with this, so I have to ask that you sign paperwork that will protect me in the event that you walk away with gear without reviewing it first.

Please send all applications via PMs (private messages) here on EhMac.

A big thanks to The Mayor for his continued support of my site, and the odd spamming on these truly excellent forums.

Cheers,

N.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We've had several excellent applications for this position. We're grateful for the support that EhMac.ca's membership has shown towards EnvyMac. We will commence an online interview with the first round of finalists shortly.

We're still seeking News Reporters. As a News Reporter, your primary job will be to write small news topics on the main page of the site, and link to news stories and reviews on other sites. Again, this is a volunteer position, but it does have its fringe benefits.

This is not a review writing position. News Reporters will not be writing reviews of gear, but as mentionned, there are some interesting fringe benefits to this position. News Reporters are expected to post a minimum of five news topics per day, which is about 30 mins of work, but once you master our back-end news posting engine, it will take you far less time. If you are interested in joining our booming Mac Review site and want to be part & parcel of its success, please send a PM to me.

Thanks!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
- PowerMac G4 owner (at home).
- 2.1 Megapixel digital camera or better.
- High-speed internet access at home.
- Ability to write.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Technically savvy regarding Mac OS 9/X and hardware/busses/ etc.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, reside in Canada, preferrably in Ontario or Quebec, but will consider other provinces.

Shucks!!!
I've got almost all of this criteria...I just don't have a G4.
Oh well...Maybe next year.

Dave :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Same here... wait, I have my own Mac web site!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all,

We've received dozens of applications for both the News and Review Writing positions. We're evaluating them now, and I hope to have finalists picked soon.

As for the status of EnvyMac.com, it's coming along just great. We have great interest from advertisers, which is good since it'll pay the bills for the site's overhead, and review product is flowing at a VERY steady pace, despite having no Mac dedicated site at this time.

The back-end code and site structure is nearly complete, and we're almost ready to add muscle to the skeleton. We're essentially borrowing the v5.0-Beta of the EnvyNews.com code and back-end interface for EnvyMac.com, and applying a new 'skin' or graphics. We're still aiming for a late August launch date, but we may be able to squeeze-in a mid-Aug date instead. Oh yeah, we've got what may be dozens of Mac product give-aways for the launch date - support for this review site has been overwhelming. We're quite pleased by the momentum it has garnered, and we're eager to get it at the public phase.

Oh, speaking of reviews, The Mayor pumped this out today - a short but concise review of the iSkin iPod Protector (for 5/10/20GB iPod's):

http://www.envynews.com/?ID=517

N.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Lars dude,you should have it up and running before you start plugin' it.
11 days remaining...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts