Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, there's the rub. I'm looking for the adapter _without_ a display. Is your friend okay with that?

If you're still looking, I have a friend selling one, along with
an Apple 15" Studio Display LCD.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
It turns out that I have a ADC and DVI video card in a PowerMac G4 MDD. Now I just need to know if it will work in an earlier PowerMac G4. Getting the specs...
It might work IF the video slot provides the power pins to power the card for any ADC connected monitor.

But why bother??? I lost my ADC 17" Studio Display and its connection connection when I upgraded my G4 MMD video card for a Core Video support card (thanks to an ehmac seller) and got a new monitor with full Core Video support for use with some of the latest 10.5.x apps for less $$ than the used and often still expensive adapters were selling for, and they don't even support any core graphics stuff as far as I know.

PS: Why not just use the later PowerMac G4 MDD if you want to use or connect your Apple ADC monitor???

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good questions.

The adapter/video card solution isn't for me, I want to help someone who has just acquired an Apple monitor that has ADC.

The G4 MDD was a salvage gift. Its logic board is nailed to the perch and it's not worth replacing it (unless... does anybody want a G4 MDD shell?). But if the G4 MDD video card, which has DVI and ADC out, works in the earlier PowerMac G4, problem solved, and I'll just give them the card.

If you check my Mac mini sale thread you'll see I'm using another ADC monitor (20") with an external adapter. Fantastic monitor.

It might work IF the video slot provides the power pins to power the card for any ADC connected monitor.

But why bother??? I lost my ADC 17" Studio Display and its connection connection when I upgraded my G4 MMD video card for a Core Video support card (thanks to an ehmac seller) and got a new monitor with full Core Video support for use with some of the latest 10.5.x apps for less $$ than the used and often still expensive adapters were selling for, and they don't even support any core graphics stuff as far as I know.

PS: Why not just use the later PowerMac G4 MDD if you want to use or connect your Apple ADC monitor???

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
It looks like the G4 400 (Gigabit) was the first to support the ADC monitor connection.
What graphics cards are provided by the Power Mac G4? Which have VGA, ADC, and/or DVI ports? What is the maximum supported resolution on a primary and secondary display? @ EveryMac.com

So if their G4 doesn't have the extra power supplied connections available for the later card I doubt that the later G4 ADC port video card would work in their G4.

But as I mentioned previously and as good as those were, one can pickup a new and compatible monitor with the same or often better specs for about the same price as the ADC adapter and will probably still be useful with any later Mac they might upgrade to.

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860

1 - 9 of 9 Posts