Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an ibook a year ago, and now am selling it for $1000 (its an ibook 700/16mbvram,384mb,20gb,12").

Now I am after a machine that is as fast or faster than it.

I would prefer a powermac, simply because it can be upgraded later (a good question is - how good are cpu upgrades?)

I found a 450mhz G4 auction, and I also found a 733mhz G4 auction. The first one could easily be afforded, but the second will probably balloon in price still. Both are very close to ending.

Anyone know of any decent macs for sale? They can't be over $1000 give or take a few hundred.

I could always go for this machine that a local dealer has (450mhz G4 w/radeon for $999 but it seems like an inflated price).

Any help would be good, I would even consider piecing together a system from parts :)

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
If that's a 450 MHz AGP Graphics (aka Sawtooth) with a Radeon 8500, $1000 is a good price - the fact that it's a local dealer is bonus. I'd go for it if everything else looks OK. You can always install a processor upgrade later, if you need to.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
This is a bad time to be buying a used G4. You can get a new G4 1.25 GHz for under 1,700. The G5's will be available in a month or two.
When the G5 is on the dealer shelves the price of the older G4's are going to drop like bricks on the used market.
Wait a couple of months before you go for a used G4. Your wallet will thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would definately consider doing that, but the problem with that is that my ibook is probably going to be sold this week for a good price, and I can't exactly be without a mac.

There is an emac (G4/700) that I could possibly get, but there are no upgrade options for it later if I decide to.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You're better off with a G4.

Prices will always keep dropping but I don't see them dropping that much more in the near future. I agree with Rob. The current prices for new G4s are so good that for the first time in my Mac owning history I'm not thinking about buying a used Mac.

Basically I'd scrap together as many bucks as possible for a new G4, if you can. That's what I'm doing. In the long run the few extra bucks will get me a lot more years out of the machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can buy a G4/450 and then save up for a few months then upgrade it, that is about the best I can do I think.

I have about 450$ available on an apple instant loan but would prefer not to get into that (high interest). There aren't any places in London that have any higher machines, I have emailed them to see if they have anything mind you.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Paying $1000 for a used G4 450 makes no sense at all. A G4 1.25 GHz upgrade card costs $500 U.S. You'll end up paying more for a used computer and upgrade than you would for a brand new G4 1.25 GHz.
If you already had a G4 then the upgrade might make sense, but it doesn't make sense when you start from scratch.
That's why I'm saying the older used G4's are way overpriced for the short term. They are ready to take a big drop soon.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
That's why I'm saying the older used G4's are way overpriced for the short term. They are ready to take a big drop soon.
I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. My prediction is that beige G3s will lose their value when Panther is introduced 'cause they won't work with it. That will cause increased demand for Panther-compatible Macs like the B&W G3 and any G4. Prices may very well go up - supply and demand, you know.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I don't think used G4 prices could go up all that much, if at all. Let's say used G4 prices went up to the point where I'd have to pay $1200 for a stock G4/400MHz. Why wouldn't I spend an extra $300-500 and get a new G4/1.0GHz or G4/1.25GHz?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like that I will be going for an emac, the guy in toronto that is selling it says it is an out of box machine. He wants $990 for it (plus taxes). Just need to get some extra ram for it.

But one thing - his specs say it is a 700mhz g4, with a radeon7500, but the specs on the emacs everywhere I looked say 700 don't mention a radeon7500 but a geforce2mx

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
J Drake (I like that name!) - I would think about a few things (after reading all posts):

1. price shopping in GTA - as there seems to be more ops for that here - esp in the refurb'ed market.

2. what gen eMac is it? I know that we're over all the issues with the new eMac, but this maybe one of the ealier ones - which had that horrific CRT Challenge (sounds like a game - but it was so not). Not to s&@t on anyone's sale, but I would ask. eMac's are pretty affordable - I like'em - I almost got one.

3. Why are you not going for another lap? You know how they say: "Once you go lap, you can't go back!" :D Not sure that I would ever do without one now: hell, I have 2 (not for lone though).

Just my pocket change. ;)

ANY warranty left on that iBook?? is it a combo drive?

H!

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Both the eMacs I've used here were 700 mhz models with the GeForce 2 MX. Perhaps if it has the Radeon 7500 it's the 800 mhz model? In any event, both video cards are of the 32 mb variety, and both are good cards.

For that price you should make sure it's under the full one year warranty. If not, buy new.

-GW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the ad:

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: tor.forsale.computers
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 7:14 AM
Subject: $990 New eMac 700MHz Combo Drive 128MB RAM/ 40 GB Hard Drive

eMac $990.00
700 MHz
17 inch flat CRT display
128 MB SDRAM
40 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Combo Drive (DVD and CDRW)
AtI Radeon 7500 graphics with 32 MB DDR memory
Two Firewire connections
Five USB connections
Ethernet 10/100 BASE-T
Airport Ready
Keyboard and Mouse

Out of Box.
One year Applecare warranty.

MasterCard or VISA accepted.

The price includes delivery if you are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and
surrounding municipalities.

I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (northern part of Etobicoke).

----------

Changes are that the video is infact a Geforce2MX instead of a radeon7500.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yeah, something's strange about that eMac. Apple's spec database says the 700 eMac came with an Nvidia Geforce 2MX and that the 800 eMac comes with the ATI Radeon 7500. I'd call the guy - it's probably the 700 eMac with Nvidia Geforce 2MX. At least the Nvidia Geforce 2MX has 32MB and is AGP 2x - it'll support Quartz Extreme.

If the G5's were out I'd give you a good deal on a PowerMac G4 DP800, but I can't sell it until I get a G5 (if I get a G5).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts