Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I've been looking for a clamshell iBook for a few weeks now, and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, probably because I don't really know what that is. I had my heart set on a lime iBook, but they seem to be quite rare. If anyone has a clamshell book for sale, please let me know. I would prefer one that has firewire, but would consider one without.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
3 gig iBooks are rare and first gen and to be avoided. Most are 6 and 10 gig.
The batteries have proved to be very robust and much longer lasting in use Powerbooks of the same Gen.

Wallstreets are not good choices for a variety of reasons.
Even Lombards have some downsides tho in general at the right price they offer good value for money. Battery performance is a big caution.

Clamshells have long bettery life and are very robust and solid to work on. The screen resolution is a downside but some do like it.
I really like them for famaily travel as they are tough.
They sell steadily in the $450-$650 range depending on feature set.

The Lime is a terrific unit and has FW.
HoHo I'll be back to you when I return on Monday. :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Oh and replacing drives is not horrible tho you don't want to d it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I would assume that most of the people that have posted in this thread have no idea what they are talking about. I own a blueberry ibook, and have opened it up to replace the drive. It took less than a couple of hours and was no big deal, and with an extra 256mb ram chip it runs panther very nicely. This is not my primary mac so lack of FW is not a problem for me. I have an airport card and surf wirelessly. The screen resolution is very acceptable. The thing I like the most is the clamshells durability, no shinet white surfaces for scratching, or painted surfaces for cipping or wearing.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The Lime is a terrific unit and has FW.
On the same note, the two newer 366 MHz iBooks (Indigo and Lime - after the iBook SE) have a FireWire port also, not just the Lime 466 (and Graphite 466). The primary difference between the 466 Lime/Graphite iBooks were the 100 MHz faster processor and the DVD-ROM drive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi.
I'm sure you know what you're looking for, but in case you're new to the iBook world, I thought I'd pass on a warning based on my experience, buying a tangerine 'book with only a 3 gig HD.

The clamshell books often came with miniscule hard-drives. Unlike most notebooks, however, these are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to replace (a couple dozen bolts and screws of differing types and sizes) even for service professionals.

My advice: be sure about what you need before you buy, because with these 'books, there's nothing you can do to them later.

My real advice: for the same (or less) money, you could get a Wallstreet or Lombard Powerbook: WAAAY more computer for the $$.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"trentcanuck" speaks wisely.

If you are just interested in having a cute and functional machine, there is nothing wrong with the clamshell iBooks. They are fairly robust and can handle basic tasks well.

However, they are next to impossible to upgrade, and many of them have no sort of high-speed external interface (i.e. FireWire). Also, you are limited to the internal monitor running at 800x600, which makes running OS X uncomfortable at best.

A used Lombard will get you just as much computer, if not more so, with far more expandability and far better video. And a Pismo is the minimum I would suggest for running OS X.

The iBooks are cute, though, and they work. My next-door neighbour is very happy with hers. Just be aware of their limitations before you buy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
"Andreww" says "I would assume that...people...don't know what they're talking about"
--well, you know what they say about "assuming"...

No, I don't have first-hand experience at pulling apart a clamshell, primarily because of the nerly-universal warnings NOT to try. On the other hand, even though I am not at all technically inclined, I have replaced the HD on a Wallstreet.
However, I was speaking from first-hand experience, and was merely passing on a warning based on that experience. My advice was "be sure about what you need before you buy...". Isn't that good advice for any of us??
My clamshell was my very first Mac (bought used). With only OS 9 and OS X, and Photoshop and MS Office installed, the HD was already full.

My conclusions about the HD accessability were drawn from the advice of "experts".
An article entitled "Hotrodding The Clamshell iBook?" contained the warning, "As for hard drive upgrades, as MCE Technologies notes:

“The hard drive in the iBook is not end-user, or even dealer/service center, upgradable. Just accessing the hard drive bay is a job involving the removal of over two-dozen screws, hex-nuts, plastic parts, and very small, sensitive, electronic components. If the proper level of anti-static protection is not maintained and the take-apart procedure not properly documented then a successful upgrade is nearly impossible.... "

After reading that, I called my local "Authorized Apple Dealer/ Service Centre" who told me not to even consider having them do the job. They said that unless it was covered by warranty, it was too invloved to be worth the money.

And as for the assertion that the revision B had a 6 gig drive, that's absolutely true.
However, who among us would really be satisfied with a 6 GB drive? --Most buyers won't settle for so little capacity on their iPods!!
)

It all comes down to what role this iBook plays in the owner's life. For someone with a more versatile system, just looking for a portable to suppliment this, even the Rev A clamshell is great. For someone whose iBook will be their only computer (as it was for me), however, one should think twice.
That was the core of the advice in my original post, and I think it stands true.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Whatever Trent. You were jus pointing out what someone else told you. I am telling you from first hand experience, anything you want to do to these ibooks is not that difficult. If you can make do with a 3gig HD, thats fine but for most thats not enough for system ans SW, Given the value of these things, self service is your only option.

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
"Did I metion I'm still getting over 3 hours battery life!!"
That's a big plus - we've found very good life over time on those batteries.

With Firewire most had 10 gig drives and of course adding externally is a cinch. :cool:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The clamshells aren't that hard to take apart. I was able to add a 10 GB hard drive to my Tangerine a few years back. Bear in mind that although I work for an Apple dealer I have absolutely no service training (but it helped to have access to the tools).

The main thing to remember is to keep your screws organized.

If you're not prepared to lose your iBook then get a service professional to replace the hard drive.

My original 300 MHz iBook still works great, it's running Panther with AirPort, I can use AppleWorks, iPhoto, iTunes, Safari, Mail, The Sims, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, etc. I wouldn't say "stay away from" an original iBook, just undersatnd that there are better models out there. If all you're going to use it for is the stuff I outlined the original iBook is fine.

My iBook has 288 MB Ram and a 10 GB hard drive. Works fine as my portable. Super durable.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm sure HoHoGirl is going to get tired of these posts (by people who aren't selling their iBooks), but I too have a Rev A., and I put a 30 gig drive in it (the online instructions were great).
The ice cube tray is a really good idea--wish I'd used one. But I only had one screw left over, which is better than I can say for most of my IKEA efforts, and it's been going strong for about 6 months, so I guess I did alright...
It also has 544 MB RAM--don't let anybody tell you it can't handle it.
Great for surfing, as long as there isn't too much heavy video or flash stuff. In the summer I even recorded two simultaneous tracks of audio with ProTools LE and an M-box up at somebody's cottage.
But I will say that it's a hard transition from the dual monitor setup of my towers to an 800 x 600 screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try:

http://dealmac.com/articles/61577.html

iBook G3/300 12.1in w/Epson C42ux printer for $400

11:08 am ET, Jan 26, 2004

PowerON offers the refurbished iBook G3/300 32/3/CD/56k 12.1-inch with the Epson C42ux inkjet printer (and USB cable) for $399.99. We couldn't find the pair for a lower total price if purchased separately elsewhere. Add around $25 for shipping. A 90-day reseller warranty applies to the iBook; the printer is new.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just checked the CPUsed website.
www.cpused.com/cpudaily.htm
There's a LIME Clamshell available--the fastest clamshell they made:
12" 466MHz/192MB/10GB/CD-ROM/FW
(thought they came with DVD, but that's what they have posted).
$799 Cdn
You go girl!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts