Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a long shot question but there are a few other graphic designers on here so I will try.

When I was working at a small commercial printer I was running a Panther Pro Imagesetter and using the Panther Software Rip version 10.4. It was great I could preview all of my post-script files before I sent them to film. I also used it to check my color seperations before I ouptuted to a digital copier. I know that I can print the seperations too from InDesign, but now with my laptop I would like to be able to preview a PS file while I am on the go, before I send it off to print.

I would love to be able to afford to spend $10 000 to purchase the Panther RIP, but of course I don't have that kind of money. The panther RIP uses a USB Hardware key for authenication, and it's tiny, smaller than your pinky finger, so the chances of loosing such and item while traveling are good. Then your out a lot of money.

So what I am asking here (sorry for blabbering) is does any one know of a Software RIP I can use to preview Post Script files with? I will not be going to be printing to an Imagesetter from my laptop, merly previewing before going to press with the file. I would prefer for the program to have a software key for reasons explained above. I am on a small budget so they cheaper the better. I doubt that fact the a shareware RIP exists, but I would love it if one did.

I know I can always distill my PS into a PDF put then there could be the slight possiblity of some sort of error in ther seperation while distilling. And as all prepress designers know a slight error can cost thousands. I would prefer to work with a PS workflow for the speed advantages over PDF workflow.

Well after saying all that any ideas?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
nick,

u can check out my site

i agree with your conclusion that a PS workflow is more reliable than a PDF workflow

we have a proofing rip, it's not 10,000 $ but it is not shareware either..
www.macspectrum.com

email me directly with questions

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Nick,

I am the distributor for the Dispatch-it workflow manager (RIP) for Ontario and west of Ontario and Western NY.

We have a client in Vancouver, BC.

It runs under NT/2000 and uses a hardware dongle.

It is a professional RIP. In the preview, the plates can be toggled on and off to view traps and overprints. Also, all files are pre-ripped to check for errors and missing/damaged fonts and missing colours. If colour are missing u can add them at the rip and re-rip the file WITHOUT having to re-create the PS file. Kinda' neat, huh?

Features included full ink pull back and calibration according to media. RIP can support multiple devices (proofers and imagesetters and platesetters) all from one box and ONE licence fee.

Did you check out the sample proof?

Also, you send the file to our RIP using the PPD of the final output device. We call this a Print-Once workflow.

Of course, softproofs (on screen) are limited by video cards and monitors.

The colour proofer as it stands is not sold as a softproof only. It is sold as softproof and hardproof, an EPSON 3000 for example with true CMYK printing. We say that this produces about an 85% press proof.

I have had some customers throw away their chromalins.

I don't know if it fits for you, but just wanted to talk about our product.

You could always send me a PS file and I would be please to print output for you and mail it back to you for a sample. Just to show you what it can do.

Feel free to contact me further if you have any questions or comments.

You can call me and leave a number, I will call you back.

Thanx,

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quetion for you, I am very inrested in your software RIP, although It will do way more than I need it to in my present line of work. I am wanting to get more actively back into PrePress. Right now I am doing PrePess/Design/Web Design.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
Nick,
If colour are missing u can add them at the rip and re-rip the file WITHOUT having to re-create the PS file. Kinda' neat, huh?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Question for you: If you are using two different Post Script files can your buffer them them together and print them in one batch using "page gouping" to improve the registration.

Also what types of screening does your RIP support. Escor screening? FM Screening? What about gray levels, the Panther I was working with did 4096. Can you control the rosette? Open or Closed? How about if you wanted a elliptical dot at 0.8? Can you build custom transfer functions for each press and stock you are printing too?

I know that I will not be able to afford your RIP, or run it for that matter (I am straight MAC now) But I am always intrested on in learing about new things. I am like a spong I just soak up all that I can. I love learning about this sort of thing?

Do you have a PDF you could send me on your RIP? That way I won't bore you to death with all of my questions.
There is not many people on ehMac that can carry out a converstion like this. Cuddos to you.

Anywho hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank Macspectum

Do you own the company that creates this program. Is it a one man show or what? You peaked my intrests, I am just a curious sort of fellow.
Anywho do you have a demo version of this software? Also how much does it cost? Is it OS X native? If not can it run in classic? I am sure like all software RIP's it is a resource pig. You can email me at my persoanaly for a more private conversation if you would like.

Thanks, it is awesome to hear from you, I was not expecting this sort of responce. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not a complete solution as it obviously has it's limitations but rip the PostScript file through PhotoShop. Your limited by any spot colour usage but for process jobs it's a quick route to viewing seperations. By viewing each CMYK channel on it's own, you can view each seperation, overprints, traps, etc, effectively just by toggling from channel layer to channel layer.

Another route you could take that's not limiting to spot colours, print seperations directly to file/.PDF. View each seperation through Acrobat on it's own page without physically printing each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts