Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading this article MacCentral

In it Joswiak, VP of HW Product Marketing, states:

"We don't have a definite [termination] date in mind, but it's not a short-term effort," said Joswiak. "As long as people keep buying the Power Mac G4, we'll keep selling them."
--
For me personally it is a bit of a relief, these "new" machines and lower prices were making it tough to decide what to get. Now at least I have some breathing room.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The MDD Power Mac G4's have many benefits over the Power Mac G5, though, in terms of expandability. Dual optical drives as one, and the ability to hold 1000 GB of hard drive space (250 GB drives x 4). I can't believe Apple got rid of dual optical drive bays - it was a good feature to have.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, not a total loss. Maxtor just released a 300GB SATA drive (not public yet, but wait a bit, which means you can have at least 600GB in the machine. And, SATA is external-capable, meaning you could have external Serial-ATA RAID tower enclosures and the like. It's only a matter of months (end of year? 1H2004?) that 500GB SATA drives come out, and even 1TB drives.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I dont really have a need for dual optical drives, but only 2 drive bays, comon, get real.
Why on eaarth would I want a friggen 200GB system drive?
I NEVER use my system drive for capturing or rendering to, not even the second partition, and any video pro will tell you thats how it should be (Well, all the ones I know anyway).
I want more drive bays, I can get by with a 40GB system drive (Why would I need more?), but that would leave me with one bay for a scratch disk.
I don't see how Apple had professionals in mind for this machine. I know some of you will say "Get a FW Drive", for one, I have enough desk clutter, I dont need more, and Apple does not recommend the use of FW Drives with FCP

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58636

"These drives are not currently recommended for video capture or playback with Final Cut Pro. We are in the process of testing various FireWire drives as they come out. These drives are suitable for the backup and transport of broadcast quality QuickTime clips from one editing suite to another, and due to their ability to be hot-swapped, are particularly valuable for this task."

So they tell us that we should not use them, then they take away our option to load the machine up with internal drives, thats wiggedy wiggedy wack.

[/rant]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Like MacDaddy says. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts