Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
Pretty early yet in the investigation I’m sure. I can’t imagine how the families must feel right now. The son, having lost his immediate family like that.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Steve Williams, chief of the London Police Service, sat down with CBC News on Wednesday to address questions about the investigation and safety concerns expressed by some members of London's Muslim community, which numbers 30,000.

1. How were police able to say this was a premeditated, hate-motivated attack only a day after it happened?

Williams couldn't spell out how they were able to make that call so quickly. While he understands the public's "thirst for knowledge," he said any public statements from police about evidence they've gathered could jeopardize the prosecution. What Williams did say is it didn't take long for police to come across information they believe supports what they said at Monday's news conference: This attack was motivated by hate and the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith.

"We had the information early on that supported the evidence that this was a hate-motivated incident, that it was intentional and that this family was targeted," he said. "We wanted to provide this information to the public. Now that the charges are laid, we have to be careful about what information we release. We know that the steps we take are going to be scrutinized, and we don't get any re-dos. We only have one shot to get this right. One thing we have to do is really keep our eye on the ball and play the long game.

"We know the public wants answers and one of the hardest things for me to do as chief of police is not being able to give those answers," he said. "We have to be protective of the information to ensure that the court process goes untainted by anything we do or say right now."

Williams said that as it stands, police do not have any information the accused was involved with any hate groups. Also, based on what police have gathered so far, he said, they believe he acted alone."

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
The right wing troll social media meme farms are already shifting into high gear with some of the wildest claims, unsubstantiated of course, losing their collective minds because the police haven't released all their info days after the crime. Ive seen a handful even here already. The bodies probably haven't even left the morgue yet. It's sickening.

The ensuing crapstorm and unfounded internet stuff must be disheartening to those close to the family.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
"Steve Williams, chief of the London Police Service, sat down with CBC News on Wednesday to address questions about the investigation and safety concerns expressed by some members of London's Muslim community, which numbers 30,000.

1. How were police able to say this was a premeditated, hate-motivated attack only a day after it happened?

Williams couldn't spell out how they were able to make that call so quickly. While he understands the public's "thirst for knowledge," he said any public statements from police about evidence they've gathered could jeopardize the prosecution. What Williams did say is it didn't take long for police to come across information they believe supports what they said at Monday's news conference: This attack was motivated by hate and the family was targeted because of their Muslim faith.

"We had the information early on that supported the evidence that this was a hate-motivated incident, that it was intentional and that this family was targeted," he said. "We wanted to provide this information to the public. Now that the charges are laid, we have to be careful about what information we release. We know that the steps we take are going to be scrutinized, and we don't get any re-dos. We only have one shot to get this right. One thing we have to do is really keep our eye on the ball and play the long game.

"We know the public wants answers and one of the hardest things for me to do as chief of police is not being able to give those answers," he said. "We have to be protective of the information to ensure that the court process goes untainted by anything we do or say right now."

Williams said that as it stands, police do not have any information the accused was involved with any hate groups. Also, based on what police have gathered so far, he said, they believe he acted alone."

So labeling it a hate crime, before they have even run a basic tox screen for things like Meth, Cocaine, SRIs,.... won't jeopardize the investigation, but explaining why they applied the label will???

If they are unwilling or unable to back up a prejudicial label, it was incredibly unethical to have applied it in the first place.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
I think we got it the first few times you bellyached about this. They are in the middle of an investigation and for that reason, they are not making public anything yet. This should be something very basic. I highly doubt they will bend to a handful of upset anonymous internet people and you’ll just have to wait like the rest of us until they release more information.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
I guess I’m one of the unwashed and my “woke” genes haven’t clicked in. To me people were run down and killed....someone was arrested and charged. The trial will bring out the who and the whys....and hopefully whatever amounts to justice today will be meted out....knowing that no amount of it can do justice to the crime......until this happens I’m of the ‘nuff said” state of mind.

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
I guess I’m one of the unwashed and my “woke” genes haven’t clicked in. To me people were run down and killed....someone was arrested and charged. The trial will bring out the who and the whys....and hopefully whatever amounts to justice today will be meted out....knowing that no amount of it can do justice to the crime......until this happens I’m of the ‘nuff said” state of mind.
Four people who all happened to be Muslim were run down. I suspect that’s more than a coincidence and so do the police if they’re already calling it a hate crime or racially motivated. But yes, we could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Four people who all happened to be Muslim were run down. I suspect that’s more than a coincidence and so do the police if they’re already calling it a hate crime or racially motivated. But yes, we could be wrong.
Seems to me that 4 people who were a family and were walking together are almost certainly going to share a religion. That falls several miles short of establishing they were targeted at all, or were targeted because of their religion.

Not sure why that connection should be considered important. If he deliberately ran them down that is first degree murder and he can and should be put away for a very long time. No need whatsoever to toss out that hate crime red herring.

I am always suspicious when someone fogs us with a politically correct smoke screen. More often than not their motives are not honest maybe even outright evil. Even possible they gave the suspect a sniff of the devil's breath, to help make it all happen. But you can bet the tox screens won't extend that far, they never do.

Reactions: Rps

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
I think this thread is becoming almost pointless now. Until we hear more info this is devolving into ridiculousness.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I wonder how far they can go with the terrorism charge. Seems a bit loose. Below is taken from the CBC link posted by FUXL.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, terrorism is an indictable offence under the Anti-terrorism Act, which includes behaviour intended to intimidate the public or a segment of the public, in whole or part for political, religious or ideological reasons.

I think the above is a somewhat open on what you can label terrorism. I like the Oxford dictionaries definition "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims." At the end of the day I am not sure all these labels and charges matter much other then it fits the times, 4 counts of 1st degree murder will see him locked away forever. I have no trouble with the terrorism charge if it makes sense in accordance with the wording of the law, just wondering if we are simply dealing with an angry guy who should never see freedom again.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
How many charges and convictions have there been so far?

if it’s really as open as alleged, there must have been quite a lot?

and of these, which ones were dodgy in terms of this alleged ‘open interpretation’?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
How many charges and convictions have there been so far?

if it’s really as open as alleged, there must have been quite a lot?
No clue, I just read the 4 first degree murder charges. So 100 years in total if they do not gang them all together in one lump penalty.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
I’m addressing the assertion that the terrorism charges are are based on a criminal code definition as being an ‘open interpretation’.

I don’t see it, but I’m willing to hear evidence to back this up!

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I’m addressing the assertion that the terrorism charges are are based on a criminal code definition as being an ‘open interpretation’.

I don’t see it, but I’m willing to hear evidence to back this up!
As am I.

I think we can be far to lenient on crime in Canada. Unless there is something way out of left field that shows this guy was not in control of his body when this happened I think he should be locked up till the day he dies. If the charge fits the crime I am all for it, I just don't like things being shoehorned in a reactionary way.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
There’s no reason to think it has been shoehorned to fit in a reactionary way that anyone has been able to show.

Unless I’m missing something? I’m asking for any evidence of this. Why should we be concerned about this??

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
So how many thousands were at the funeral without any harassment from Ontarios Covid Gestapo? But a day later in Alberta, Preacher Tim Stevens was arrested for daring to conduct an outdoor Sunday service. They had to use a police helicopter to track him down. Still it's wonderful news that all I have to do is convert to the Muslim religion and I will have absolutely nothing to fear from Crazy Corony.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
They were issued a temporary exemption for this service. You are comparing two very different things. But yeah get a dig at the Muslims eh?

Next.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts