Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I was wondering what my options would be for Wireless Access in my apartment. I currently have a Lombard that has no wireless connectivity and my girlfriend has Tangerine iBook with an Airport card. And there's also my DP 867 Desktop. I haven't yet purchased a base station or router. Oh yeah, I'm also connecting to the net with ADSL.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
438 Posts
well, you could do the following:

-get a cheap wireless router
-hook up your broadband to your wireless router
-connect your DP867 to one of the ports of the wireless router (i mean with cat5)
-the ibook is good to go
-then, go to either:
http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/index.html
or
http://ioxperts.com/80211b_X.html
and find a card that you can get that will be compatible with either driver (wirelessdriver is free, ioxperts's driver is like ~$20)
-put that in your powerbook and install the drivers and you are good to go!

neema

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For the laptop you could use one of these:

http://www.asante.com/products/adapters/al1000/index.html

You then have two options, a wireless router from either Apple or a third party like D-Link.
You would then go from the ADSL modem to the router, with a cat5 cable to the desktop and wireless to the laptops. You could also put an AirPort card in the desktop and have them all wireless.

Or, put an AirPort card in the desktop, plug it into the ADSL and turn on internet sharing. This way the Desktop will give the laptops a wireless signal to work with. This is a little less convenient though, as the desktop would have to be on for the others to be online.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
is the Lombard not Airport ready??? There are tons of WiFi routers out there and yes you can get a pretty affordable one. I would look around for a prev owned Airport Card ( I got one here for $100 shipped for my work partner). I've seen some refurb'd WiFis for like $50USD on eBay.ca. What Neema mentioned is correct re: the card and the driver - however that is esp in X. I know that there are a few 3rd Party cards which work sans driver in Classic (like the Orinico sliver/gold I think). But in X - you will need that driver. BTW, I just noticed that the Proxim/Orinoco Silver going for $64.99 CDN @ MicroWarehouse.ca. A great deal. ;)

H!

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I saw this link at XLR8yourmac that says that the latest version of Airport 3.1 (for OSX) supports some third party wireless PC cards that use the Broadcom chipset. These will be 802.11g cards. I don't know if the new Airport driver will also work with the slower 802.11b cards (other than Proxim/Orinoco that work already).

XLR8yourmac on Airport 3.1

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent,

I'm going to look into proxim/orinoco cards this week as far as a router goes I have a friend who's willing to part with his old dlink wireless router so he can get a faster one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts