Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"When it comes to new products coming from the Apple camp, one of the old maxims is that you never know what's coming until an Apple executive stands up on stage with a new product firmly in hand.

That's not been entirely the case with the next version of the iPhone operating system, since Apple went out of its way to announce the new features that will be found in the new iPhone OS. They just didn't announce exactly when it would launch. Well, that time is now."

Discuss the new iPhone OS 3.0 here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
From Macworld Live update:

11:33 PT - DM: Zipcar's Luke Schneider. New Zipcar iPhone app. Maps show you all zip car locations all around the city. Green pins indicate available cars. Tap on a pin, up pops name and number of cars. Instantly see Zipcars in any lcoation. Gives him a list of the cars, and you can set cars as favorites. Tap Reserve, pick a time, and duration. And you can tap the horn icon on the iPhone to have it beep the horn for your car, so it's easy to find and you can unlock the car from the iPhone. That's Zipcar on the iPhone.

:)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
From Macworld Live update:

11:33 PT - DM: Zipcar's Luke Schneider. New Zipcar iPhone app. Maps show you all zip car locations all around the city. Green pins indicate available cars. Tap on a pin, up pops name and number of cars. Instantly see Zipcars in any lcoation. Gives him a list of the cars, and you can set cars as favorites. Tap Reserve, pick a time, and duration. And you can tap the horn icon on the iPhone to have it beep the horn for your car, so it's easy to find and you can unlock the car from the iPhone. That's Zipcar on the iPhone.

:)
Awesome! I LOVE my Zipcar membership! It's so far saved us from having to buy a 2nd car... I just rent a car and expense the entire rental to the company, no worries about keeping track of kms, no non business expenses of the car, anything! And now this just makes things just way more convenient! Way to go!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
ok, so from what the article says, the iphone software update won't include the ability for the iphone 3g(not 3gs) to do the video recording the new iphone can do?

if so, that kinda sucks. Its not exactly that I am wanting the iphone 3g to be the same as the 3gs, or have the same video quality, but it would be nice if there could be a video option on the current one.

Correct me if I am wrong...hopefully.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong...hopefully.
My understanding at this early point (which could be wrong) is that the iPhone 3G does *not* have the higher-res camera tied to Apple's own video software, so it's a 3GS feature only at this point.

But it should be mentioned that there are "non-App Store" apps for video recording on 2G and 3G iPhones right now, and have been for some time. You just have to jailbreak your iPhone, which at present is very easy and doable. I'm running the current software (2.2.1) on my 2G unlocked/jb'd iPhone right now.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
This is the most useful for me. I may switch back to a MobileMe account just for this:

Check them below!

Apple - New features make MobileMe the ultimate iPhone accessory.
i think this is great too.

I don't think the makers of undercover will be too happy however.

For me, I think it's great Apple lowered the price on the 8 GB, but video isn't a big deal to me. Neat, but not enough to make me want to sell my 3G for the new one. I think the other improvements are good as well, but i'm looking forward to the OS 3.0.

cheers,
Keebler

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My understanding at this early point (which could be wrong) is that the iPhone 3G does *not* have the higher-res camera tied to Apple's own video software, so it's a 3GS feature only at this point.

But it should be mentioned that there are "non-App Store" apps for video recording on 2G and 3G iPhones right now, and have been for some time. You just have to jailbreak your iPhone, which at present is very easy and doable. I'm running the current software (2.2.1) on my 2G unlocked/jb'd iPhone right now.

This response is actually provides hope, as it is atechnically possible to do video.

I get that the new one has the better camera and likely better hardware that allows for proper video encoding, however some basic (crappy) video seems possible with the current hardware.

I am one of those that know that the iphone is quite easy to jailbreak the iphone, but at the same time I don't like the feeling that I could also brick the iphone.

I wish apple would enable this, even with limited functionality, and worse video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having covered the keynote at the WWDC and spoken with a couple Apple execs, I can confirm that the camera and video recording is something exclusive to the 3GS, so an upgrade to OS 3.0 on your 2G or 3G iPhone won't get you that feature. We'll see if 3rd-party developers manage to fill the gap there.

I'm meeting with Apple executives about the new 3GS and 3.0 tomorrow (Wednesday) again, so if you have any questions specific to the iPhone, I'd be happy to ask them on your behalf. :)

Let me know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts