Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past while I've been trying to locate somewhere that

a) Charges a reasonable price for RAM (iMac flat panel 17")
b) Doesn't charge 20% of the purchase price for the privilege of sending it up here to the igloos (by dogsled, presumably)
c) takes PayPal.

Anyone know a CANADIAN seller who sells the 512MB SODIMM for about the same price as in the U.S. (right now hovering around $90 USD) and doesn't charge a Snowcat and a mukluk shipping (oh, and takes PayPal)? :D

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
1) I've never heard of a retailer taking Paypal in Canada as a form of payment.

2) Crucial ram can be sent here, and others also, and you should not have to pay 20% to get it here. Shipping charges apply regardless of where you get it from.

3) RAM prices fluctate on a daily basis, just keep an eye on the prices and buy when it's cheap. But, as an example, a 512 meg SODIMM for a Powerbook, hovers around 200-250$ Cdn.

RtC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I guess it was too much to assume that a CDN retailer would take PayPal. I was thinking more along the lines of eBay.ca, but all the sellers are from the States anyway.

There's a vendor selling 512MB SODIMMs on eBay but they're US $104 plus $11.50 shipping. That makes it $166 CDN, so I guess that's already better than the Canadian option.

Which leads me to another question: one would think by now that 512MB DIMMS would be dirt cheap . . . but they're still hovering around the US $100 mark.

What happens when your operating system minimum requirements start to get around 768MB RAM? What is it about RAM that makes it so damned expensive?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The biggest problem with the prices of Mac ram is the market. It's extremely small.

With the PC ram, there is a larger market, and therefore the price fluctuate more...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
31,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Go to a PC store and buy your RAM there. You live in Montreal for goodness sake, you should be able to find one. The way I read your post, I first thought you lived in Iqaluit.

Also, have you checked B.Mac? I bought RAM from them before and it was the same price as quality PC RAM.

Also, don't buy the cheapest RAM you can find - it'll malfunction eventually. Your machine will freeze suddenly and you won't know why. I like Kingston RAM - it's never failed on me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts