Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a shame that we need a concert to promote the preservation of our planet. Shouldn't this be a no brainer that this is the only home we have and we are causing excessive damage to it? Once it's gone, we are extinct.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
“WASHINGTON - Sometimes it's not easy being green; just ask Al Gore.
America's reigning environmental guru was forced to defend himself Friday against criticism that today's Live Earth concert series -- an eight-city rock spectacle he has organized to raise awareness about global warming -- may do more to pollute the environment than protect it.”

“Despite following a model popularized by the Live Aid famine relief and Live 8 anti-poverty concerts, the Live Earth series has become a target for musicians and environmentalists who question its value.
Bob Geldof, who organized the Live 8 concerts in 2005, triggered a feud with Gore in May by branding Live Earth a "hollow spectacle" that lacked a specific goal.
Whereas 1985's Live Aid raised almost $250 million for African famine relief, the Live Earth concerts have a less-defined mission: To "trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis."”

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=a6a86b22-11c0-46dd-8e8b-d90c0ca623f1

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
It's a shame that we need a concert to promote the preservation of our planet. Shouldn't this be a no brainer that this is the only home we have and we are causing excessive damage to it? Once it's gone, we are extinct.
There is a certain irony that you write this, given that you sell sunscreen. :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Okay I've unplugged two device chargers that I don't use that often.

I have a question for the hardware experts. I use the long cable for my PowerBook, and just leave it plugged in and disconnect the block when I take it out of the office and use the duckneck thing.

Does the long cable draw power?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a certain irony that you write this, given that you sell sunscreen. :)
Have you even looked at the product I sell? It is all natural and biodegradable, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Have you even looked at the product I sell? It is all natural and biodegradable, so I am not sure what you are getting at.
The irony is that you care about the environment, if you were really selfish, you would not give a toss, as you could benefit from the destruction of the ozone that protects us from the suns rays.

Mexican products are great - I've bought some in the south because someone told me that they were "toxin free".

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah. I understand.

Maybe I could hire you to "promote" my products. Maybe you could buy a Hummer? ;)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Sorry, but the biggest offenders are corporations. Take a look at Lake Ontario. Recent evidence shows companies use it as a toxic waste dump. Until governments get serious about caring about the environment, don't expect me to. They suck my tax dollars in, waste it, and then expect me to solve the problems? What a load of bunk.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
So because some corporations are screwing up, that completely exempts you from the responsibility of doing anything personally? Wow, pretty twisted. Even better when you preface your rationale by saying "sorry." That's rich.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that Corporations and governments are some of the biggest offenders. When It comes down to dollars or the environment, dollars will always win. Sure corporations may claim to be green, but if being green costs the company millions as opposed to saving them millions, what do you think they will do?

It's not only the environment either. Take pharmaceuticals and the healthcare science for example. Take my diabetes condition for example. How long did it take for a "treatment" to come to light (insulin)? Has there been any major advancements lately. There have been announcements about possible cures but that disappears as quickly as they appear. My guess is the dollar wins again. I spend close to $12000 per year on my diabetes supplies. Now multiply that by the number of Canadians who have the disease. At last count it was 1.5 million. Now take into consideration the other diseases that could benefit from a cure. Now take that globally. Big money. There will never be cures for diseases any more, only treatments.

On the environmental front, consumers are to blame as well. Go take a trip to your local land fill and you will understand the amount of waste that goes into our land fill. I'm sure everyone recycles, but there are two other R's. Reduce and reuse. I recycle, but I don't reuse or reduce. It's just not convenient.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, but the biggest offenders are corporations. Take a look at Lake Ontario. Recent evidence shows companies use it as a toxic waste dump. Until governments get serious about caring about the environment, don't expect me to. They suck my tax dollars in, waste it, and then expect me to solve the problems? What a load of bunk.
That's why we need to pressure government to stop these big offenders.

You can also lead by example.

Just because the government isn't doing anything doesn't mean you can't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.