Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yes, that article got me worried about my laptop, but plugging in without the battery causes more problems in the form of dates and times being all screwy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not a huge worry for current owners now since Apple has an exchange program for dead batteries. Also, applecare has become available for the ipod giving it two years of coverage which should be long enough for the batteries to die. And don't forget about all the third party batteries available right up to the current 3Gen models.

·
Registered
645 Posts
jonmon,

What do you mean by dates and times? If you remove the battery on the laptop it resets the dates in OS X only? and what other screwed up stuff can happen?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
That sucks... when did the Apple Care start to cover iPods??

H!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
You can buy the OEM iPod battery for $35US, it isn't propritary.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hmm... I use my iBook as my desktop and it stays plugged in for days on end. Should I remove the battery? Things always seem a bit unclear when it comes to battery maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
AdrianL - In the end it is up to you. According to the article it would be smarter to remove it whenever you are plugged in, but most computers won't charge the battery unless it needs to be. Apple won't charge the battery unless it is less the at 95% charge. This eliminates that need to take out your battery so often. However if you do have your laptop plugged in for extended periods of time (several days) it is smarter to remove the battery and store it somewhere cool. It may be smarter but it doesn't mean you have to.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I've removed the battery from my iBook while it was plugged in and I did not lose any date settings. I find that very interesting.

The big advantage of having the battery in when the laptop is plugged in is it acts as a backup power supply. Although you may never need to use the backup power supply, it's worth having when you do!

James

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
james_squared - Which battery did you remove? There are two batteries. 1 is a PRAM battery on the mother board that stores your date settings and such, and dies in about 7 years. The other battery is the actual battery the computer runs off of.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
What do you mean by dates and times? If you remove the battery on the laptop it resets the dates in OS X only? and what other screwed up stuff can happen?
I had my iBook plugged in but it was turned off and I removed the battery (the big one, not pram). I unplugged the AC and then plugged it in again. I then powered up the system and my date was 1969 and the time was off. As a result forums I go to didn't show the proper posts and I couldn't check my email (excitemail).

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jonmon, it sounds like your pram battery is dead. Your iBook doesn't sound like it's that old. The pram battery should last for 4 or 5 years. It should be covered under warranty.

The pram battery provides a small amount of power to keep settings like your clock working when the unit is unplugged. Reverting back to an old date usually doesn't happen unless your pram battery is dead or if you reset the power manager (or hit the cuda switch in desktops).

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
edit - tested with system unplugged and turned off overnight. This morning the date was back to dec 31, 1969. :(

[ December 03, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: jonmon ]

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I would think that leaving the battery in would be the prudent decision take for example when the blackout happened I had a couple of very important files on my laptop wich hadn't been saved yet as soon as the power went off the battery kicked in and saved my ass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts