Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Linksys Etherfast Wireless system currently hooked up with my Sympatico Warp 3 DSL modem. Will this base system be compatible with the Apple Airport card? I have someone who can help me configure the card with the Linksys, but I want to make sure that the two are compatible. I read various points-of-view on the MacWorld forum re this issue. I trust those of you who reside, albeit vicariously, in ehMacLand, and your points of view are far clearer and more personal than those I have read in other forums. I think that we all deserve a nomination for a Soapie in that we have carved out a niche for ourselves in the "shadow" of the US and Wintel elephant. Kudos to us all.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I believe this is the main point.

802.11b compliant.

This is the standard that the Airport Cards follow.

I have not read up on the Linksys model. It did not get a very good rating in one of the Canadian Computer Trade Papers.

I have seen good reports on the D-Link (I have someone trying one out right now so the verdict is still out.)
Have heard of NetGear but their website barely mentions Mac.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heart, it is complient to that standard, so I am assuming that it will work with a Mac. It has worked wonders with my wife's Dell Inspiron, with a range that is far more that the 300 foot range in the spec sheet. Merci.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just got mine set up i have a linksys wireless router as well just pluged my new airport card into my imac and restarted and to my suprise i was online in about 5 min was very easy

and i'm very happy with it 2 floors down my imac is running at full signal in the net cafe

hope you have just as good of luck as i did

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for their input on this matter. I forever gain in my knowledge about Macs from all of your input. Merci.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
The only caveat to using a Linksys Wireless Access Point is that Linksys does not support Apple product at all. So if you have any problems with it and your iBook then they wont help you. Luckily though, you have us!
:D

--PB

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, PosterBoy. Intergenerational assistance is a highlight of this web forum.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very true, Chealion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.