Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
I tell my students there are 3 types of English... Friendspeak, which is what they use with their friends and family; Common, which is what we hear on broadcasts or read in newspapers; and Formal,, used when communicating with people of respect or authority. Maybe we could eliminate Common and Formal. Business letters would be a lot shorter and I be in favour of that.
I would not be in favour of that, they all server their purpose, that is why they exist in the first place.

English is already very diverse and "rules" are broken all the time. There are hardly any "rules" that are adhered to by any more at all.

I think, I may be wrong, what you are getting at is that depending on your patois you could be judged in one way or the other because of the way you speak or write the English language. I get that, it happens all the time.

BUT, whether or not you speak the King or Queen's English in this day and age it really doesn't matter that much depending on who you are and what you are doing and where you are... e.g. you are in London and go into an after hours club and insist that the people around you speak "proper" English, maybe you could make it out alive but you would probably receive a "proper" beating.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I agree "biggly"

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
e.g. you are in London and go into an after hours club and insist that the people around you speak "proper" English, maybe you could make it out alive but you would probably receive a "proper" beating.
Ha!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Someone I know really hates one that you just used:

They would change it to "occurs when."

Come to think of it, "getting in" the intercom is even worse than "getting on" the intercom, perhaps in the same way someone "getting in" your face would be marginally better than "getting on" your face, which reminds me of that scene from The Thing. Worse yet, I think, would be someone "getting it on" your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
And then there's the abbrevs for the old folks.

FWIW: Forgot Where I Was

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

ROFL... CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing... And Can't Get Up

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

LOL: Living On Lipitor

OMG: Oy, My Grandchildren!

OMG: Ouch, My Groin!

IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?

WTF: What's Today's Fish?

WTF: Wet The Furniture

IMHMO: In My HMO...

RULKM: Are You Leaving Kids Money?

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

GTG: Gotta Groan

TGIF: Thank Goodness It's Four (Four O'Clock - Early Bird Special)

FWB: Friend With Betablockers

FYI: For Your Indigestion...

JK: Just Kvetching

TTYL: Talk To You Louder

MILF: Meal I'd Like To Forget

LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out

LWO: Lawrence Welk's On

MGAD: My Grandson's A Doctor

SUS: Speak Up, Sonny

WIWYA: When I Was Your Age

GOML: Get Off My Lawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch, that surely is a nasty one! LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
e.g. you are in London and go into an after hours club and insist that the people around you speak "proper" English, maybe you could make it out alive but you would probably receive a "proper" beating.
No English gentleman's club would tolerate a proper beating, but it certainly would tolerate a proper thrashing.

Proper beatings are reserved for English gentlemen's sons by their top schools' headmasters for not breaking the ice in all the classroom inkwells each morning.

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
No English gentleman's club would tolerate a proper beating, but it certainly would tolerate a proper thrashing.

Proper beatings are reserved for English gentlemen's sons by their top schools' headmasters for not breaking the ice in all the classroom inkwells each morning.
A thrashing would involve fisticuffs, while a beating would probably involve a cane of carefully selected rattan.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
Interesting. Did you expect this result?
No! I know a lot of the terms used in different parts of North America, but I was honest in the terms I did use.

I think I'm the only person in my area who says he's carrying a sack of groceries though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A thrashing would involve fisticuffs, while a beating would probably involve a cane of carefully selected rattan.
I never saw Winston without his stick, which is why Ramsay always gave him a wide birth.

Oxford's definition of thrashing uses both terms interchangeably, though I submit that "thrashing" is more refeened.

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
Sir Bertram? I think it's "berth" unless I'm missing a joke!

I never saw Winston without his stick, which is why Ramsay always gave him a wide birth.

Oxford's definition of thrashing uses both terms interchangeably, though I submit that "thrashing" is more refeened.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts