Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Languages change over time, and so do the rules of those languages. I was wondering what rules eMac'ers would change in the English language if they could write new rules.

As an example, I would change all the rules with the verb Be, no more I am, He or she is, they are etc... it would be I be working, she be here, they be there...

Your turn..

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
I don't want you to think that your thread is not interesting. I'm actually really happy with the rules of grammar as they are.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want you to think that your thread is not interesting. I'm actually really happy with the rules of grammar as they are.
No problem Macfury, your opinion counts. Thanks for your reply.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,205 Posts
An interesting question, Rp. Part of me agrees with Macfury, maybe because I use grammar well now ............... but if I was learning to speak once again, and my parents used the "new grammar", I wonder if learning to speak well would have come easier?

"I done did it good when I learn to talk way back then ............ so why change when there not reason to change how I talk good ....................... even with a New York City accent?" :D

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
Dr. G., you New Yorkers are snake erl salesmen.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I like the "because" phrase, where it's not necessary to spell out the whole argument every time. As in, climate change is a very real problem in our world today. Because science.

(let's see if the predictable reaction comes...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
I like the "because" phrase, where it's not necessary to spell out the whole argument every time. As in, climate change is a very real problem in our world today. Because science.
That's fine for casual conversation among people who agree with each other. Not sure it would work in any formal sense.

In response, the rational person might say: "Climate change is not a real problem in our world today. Because science." I'm not sure that this brand of grammar would do much but identify tribes. How about some other examples:

The Roman Empire fell. Because history.
12 + 3 = 19. Because math.
Are these OK?

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
That's fine for casual conversation among people who agree with each other. Not sure it would work in any formal sense.

In response, the rational person might say: "Climate change is not a real problem in our world today. Because science." I'm not sure that this brand of grammar would do much but identify tribes. How about some other examples:

Are these OK?

Yup, now you're getting it. The youth of today will understand you better.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tell my students there are 3 types of English... Friendspeak, which is what they use with their friends and family; Common, which is what we hear on broadcasts or read in newspapers; and Formal,, used when communicating with people of respect or authority. Maybe we could eliminate Common and Formal. Business letters would be a lot shorter and I be in favour of that.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Languages change over time, and so do the rules of those languages. I was wondering what rules eMac'ers would change in the English language if they could write new rules.

As an example, I would change all the rules with the verb Be, no more I am, He or she is, they are etc... it would be I be working, she be here, they be there...

Your turn..
Although I agree with what you are saying in general in terms of language always changing, I do not like the example that you provided. I think that the English language is already one of the most accommodating languages when it comes to being verbal or written despite the "rules".

The English spoken/written language tends to just "get on with it" and absorbs most of what comes its way and is more interested in understanding and communication rather than "rules" of grammar.

So I don't have any specific suggestions at this point, but it is a very good thought experiment. I will ruminate on it some and post again when I can up with some specific examples/suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I tell my students there are 3 types of English... Friendspeak, which is what they use with their friends and family; Common, which is what we hear on broadcasts or read in newspapers; and Formal,, used when communicating with people of respect or authority. Maybe we could eliminate Common and Formal. Business letters would be a lot shorter and I be in favour of that.

And maybe we should eliminate all those spelling rules too. I mean, Siri and autocorrect can't catch them all, and maybe we should be spelling fonetiklee anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And maybe we should eliminate all those spelling rules too. I mean, Siri and autocorrect can't catch them all, and maybe we should be spelling fonetiklee anyway.

Maybe, but what would you do with "Bear" and "Bare" It would make more sense to change REcord and reCORD, or Convict and conVICT. Siri might have issues.

However, spelling and grammar are two different things....but I do see your point. It would be nice to have a one word, one meaning, one pronunciation wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Screature, how about text short cuts. LOL, LMAO, MILF, do we accept those as acceptable since they are widely used..... just a question.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Maybe, but what would you do with "Bear" and "Bare" It would make more sense to change REcord and reCORD, or Convict and conVICT. Siri might have issues.

However, spelling and grammar are two different things....but I do see your point. It would be nice to have a one word, one meaning, one pronunciation wouldn't it?

Or perhaps laissez-faire, which seems to be how the world is going, at least with respect to spelling and texting. Grammatically, one that drives me nuts is when someone gets in the intercom at school and says, "If the grade 12's could come down to the gym now." And I'm thinking, and then what? You can't just announce a subordinate clause like that and leave people hanging!

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Hi Screature, how about text short cuts. LOL, LMAO, MILF, do we accept those as acceptable since they are widely used..... just a question.

And then there's the abbrevs for the old folks.

FWIW: Forgot Where I Was

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

ROFL... CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing... And Can't Get Up

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

LOL: Living On Lipitor

OMG: Oy, My Grandchildren!

OMG: Ouch, My Groin!

IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?

WTF: What's Today's Fish?

WTF: Wet The Furniture

IMHMO: In My HMO...

RULKM: Are You Leaving Kids Money?

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

GTG: Gotta Groan

TGIF: Thank Goodness It's Four (Four O'Clock - Early Bird Special)

FWB: Friend With Betablockers

FYI: For Your Indigestion...

JK: Just Kvetching

TTYL: Talk To You Louder

MILF: Meal I'd Like To Forget

LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out

LWO: Lawrence Welk's On

MGAD: My Grandson's A Doctor

SUS: Speak Up, Sonny

WIWYA: When I Was Your Age

GOML: Get Off My Lawn

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or perhaps laissez-faire, which seems to be how the world is going, at least with respect to spelling and texting. Grammatically, one that drives me nuts is when someone gets in the intercom at school and says, "If the grade 12's could come down to the gym now." And I'm thinking, and then what? You can't just announce a subordinate clause like that and leave people hanging!
Or how about CD's when it should be CDs.....and similar.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And then there's the abbrevs for the old folks.

FWIW: Forgot Where I Was

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

ROFL... CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing... And Can't Get Up

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

LOL: Living On Lipitor

OMG: Oy, My Grandchildren!

OMG: Ouch, My Groin!

IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?

WTF: What's Today's Fish?

WTF: Wet The Furniture

IMHMO: In My HMO...

RULKM: Are You Leaving Kids Money?

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

GTG: Gotta Groan

TGIF: Thank Goodness It's Four (Four O'Clock - Early Bird Special)

FWB: Friend With Betablockers

FYI: For Your Indigestion...

JK: Just Kvetching

TTYL: Talk To You Louder

MILF: Meal I'd Like To Forget

LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out

LWO: Lawrence Welk's On

MGAD: My Grandson's A Doctor

SUS: Speak Up, Sonny

WIWYA: When I Was Your Age

GOML: Get Off My Lawn

I like these.:lmao::-:)lmao::lmao:

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
Someone I know really hates one that you just used:

one that drives me nuts is when someone gets in the intercom
They would change it to "occurs when."

1 - 20 of 71 Posts