What do you think of the iPhone?

Gotta get it
371 votes (13 %)

Overpriced toy
2416 votes (87 %)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Although it is extremely over-hyped, I want one to configure as a home control centre (via Wi-Fi and customized web app).

I want to control everything - TV, stereo, microwave, air conditioning - everything just by sitting on the couch.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'd bet the same folks who voted "over-priced toy" still believe Macs are over-priced.
And these are the same folks who wouldn't know a specification from a speculation.
And they probably haven't viewed any info regarding what the iPhone can actually do.
And they run Windows only. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
357 Posts
CTV itself is arguably an overpriced toy.
I like CTV, even love the Discovery Channel... but that almost made me spit coffee out my nose!

:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've always disliked CTV's polls because the options seem to be almost polar opposites and extreme. I rarely agree with any of the two choices so I usually just don't vote at all. Case in point, while I don't think the iPhone is an overpriced toy, I certainly don't feel that I "gotta get it" either.

·
Registered
368 Posts
True. Further, in Canada it's certainly not overpriced compared to the other devices on the market. Rogers is selling the Blackberry 8800 for $499, with a three year contract.

Ironically, it seems more overpriced in the U.S. with more competition between carriers and a wider variety of devices.... the same BB 8800 on AT&T is only $299 USD on a two year contract, which isn't jusifiable even at last year's exchange rates.

Of course, this doesn't bode well for how they may choose to price the iPhone when it does get to Canada.... :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, it should be, but my point is that this is not necessarily the case with other devices, or even the iPod for that matter.

As I mentioned, the Blackberry 8800, which is made in Canada, sells for more from Rogers than it does from AT&T. Even last year's exchange rate doesn't justify that much of a price difference.

Of course, we could assume that perhaps this is because AT&T is willing to kick in a larger subsidy on the Blackberry, and since the iPhone is not subsidized this shouldn't have as much of an effect, but that doesn't stop me from being at least a bit cynical where any carrier is concerned, much less Rogers... :)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The poll doesn't make sense, does it? The iPhone is not available in Canada. Rogers doesn't have it... or did I miss a news flash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.