Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been born and raised in New York City to a mother born in Montreal and a father born in Brooklyn, NY, who were BOTH NY Giants fans, I have to post this just now. This is the closest they have come to a World Series title since the last pitch in 1962, and since 1954 when they won it all. I was only six years old then, but I can still recall the thrill. Sort of like when I first used my first Apple computer.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Macnutt, growing up in New York City in the 50s and 60s, baseball was EVERYTHING!!! I was born in '48, so it was after the second world war, I was just going in to K as the Korean war was ending, and my earliest memory was being tossed up in to the air by my dad when Bobby Thompson hit his "shot heard round the world" home run in the '51 playoffs between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the NY Giants.

I think that one reason that baseball is not as watched today is that fewer kids are playing it as kids. As well, fewer people can afford to go to live games anymore. And I remember when the race was on to see if Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle would be the first player to earn $100,000. Now, some players earn that in a game, even if they don't play. When I was a kid, the average athlete earned a bit more than the average wage earner who sat in the stands. Now, what I earn in a year is what a third string utility catcher earns in two months. Still, I follow the game, although not as passionately as I have as a youth. I was reborn in 1969 when the 1969 Miracle Mets did the amazing thing of winning the world series 7 years after losing 120 games. 1962 had me praying for a Giant's win........1986 saw my son born on the day the Mets won the pennant.........1994 saw the NY Rangers win the Stanley Cup................and now today. Tomorrow might be a red letter day in my life. Granted, in the scheme of things, this is insignificant. With war and strife throughout the world, poverty and the poor treatment of children and women, a series title might be insignificant. Still, for one brief shining moment......................we shall see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.