Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a Rex Murphey piece on the CBC in 1998.

"Remembrance Day is not a glorification of war and its sacrifices; it is a reminder of its dread, its waste and its evil. The marches past the memorials, the musters of aging soldiers, the reveries of friends long lost, of the nightmares and nobilities of Dieppe and Normandy, Beaumont, Hammel and Vimy Ridge, are commanded to memory one day each year more to the service of hope than celebration. I think part of the sadness of Remembrance Day is that we sense how thin is that hope that we shall not repeat what we are remembering, just as I think that its true glory is the belief that the remembrance is the only durable shape human hope can assume. For the National, I'm Rex Murphy."

Beaumont Hammel is especially significant for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. On the morning of July 1, 1916, 790 men from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went "over the top". British and Canadian forces held back, leaving the Newfoundlanders to make it alone. Of the 790 that set out into the hail of German gunfire, only 68 were at roll call the following morning.

Lest we forget.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CubaMark, most touching. This brings the reality of the statistics to a more comprehensible, albeit difficult to recall, level.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CubaMark, it is written that "of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these -- it might have been." Paix.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Join the vigil, if only for but a moment.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fine tribute, Mr. Mayor. For the record, 6130 Newfoundlanders and Labradorians fought in WW I (we were a dominion of Great Britain then, not a part of Canada). Of these 6130 men 3565 were either killed or seriously wounded in battle. This represented over 10% of the total population of Newfoundland and Labradror. In one battle, nearly the entire online population of ehMacLand "went over the top"...........and only 68 returned. One has to stop and think what drove a man to do such a deed.

Lest we forget.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
My speech I gave at my school's remembrance day ceremony:

In the past, Remembrance Day has never meant much to me. I've never lost anyone nor did I know anyone who fought. The only knowledge I have is what has been recounted to me by others and I suspect that is the same for some of you. (Sidenote: This speech was aimed at Grade 10, 11, and 12 students) Even though we have no connections of our own, we must imagine the suffering the soldiers had to endure. It is through their stories that we see that they fought for our ideals and our futures. Millions of solidiers went off to fight in the names of their countries to win us the peace and security that we enjoy today. This is a gift we must appreciate. Let us never forget this gift.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I would like to take a moment to express my gratitude to the Mayor for his lovely tribute on the homepage today. In Flanders Fields is a wonderful way to remind and to remember.

When I am at the national war memorial in Ottawa today, I am sure it will be in my head. Other than Christmas and Easter...November 11 is the most important day of the year for me.

Lest we forget...indeed.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chealion, that was a fine speech. I have taught high school students, and they are not an easy group to move to emotions, but your speech would move even the most cynical students.

VertiGoGo, I sincerely concur with your praise of our Mayor's fine homepage tribute.

Lest we forget.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off to the War Memorial in downtown St.John's. Paix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts