Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Leopard

1585 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Pelao
If I purchase a new iMac and get leopard with it (down the road), will I be able to use the same license with my macbook as well?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If I purchase a new iMac and get leopard with it (down the road), will I be able to use the same license with my macbook as well?
No.
Nor will the iMac discs work on the MacBook and vice-versa.
The 'System Discs' that come with every machine (DVD these days and usually Grey in colour) are specific to the machine that they are with.

These discs include the OS and the programs that came pre-installed with your machine. They are to restore the specific machine and are not able to boot and install into other models.

Buy your machine now and then buy a copy of Leopard when it comes out.
(Leopard Family Pack will keep you within the End User License Agreement - EULA)
[ No Lawyers can come after me :rolleyes: ;) :D ]

This will upgrade both.
These discs include the OS and the programs that came pre-installed with your machine. They are to restore the specific machine and are not able to boot and install into other models.
Um.....something to ponder.

We needed to do a fresh instal of our Mini core solo. We could not find the discs, so we popped in the discs from an Intel iMac. The OS and apps loaded up just fine and the Mini was happy. We subsequently found the Mini discs and installed from them, but the discs do work in other machines.

I used to think that they were specific to a model, i.e. that one iMac's discs would work in another, but not in, say, a Macbook. But from our experience it's clear that the discs can work across models, at least in some cases.
Um.....something to ponder.

We needed to do a fresh instal of our Mini core solo. We could not find the discs, so we popped in the discs from an Intel iMac. The OS and apps loaded up just fine and the Mini was happy. We subsequently found the Mini discs and installed from them, but the discs do work in other machines.

I used to think that they were specific to a model, i.e. that one iMac's discs would work in another, but not in, say, a Macbook. But from our experience it's clear that the discs can work across models, at least in some cases.
In very few cases. Disc 2 from any Consumer machine will work with any Consumer machine, and Disc 2 from any Professional machine will work with any Professional machine (AFAIK, never had a problem in this dept.). However, Disc 1 can rarely be interchanged between models.
In very few cases. Disc 2 from any Consumer machine will work with any Consumer machine, and Disc 2 from any Professional machine will work with any Professional machine (AFAIK, never had a problem in this dept.). However, Disc 1 can rarely be interchanged between models.
Yes, that makes perfect sense.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.