Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, for my money, Leopard is not ready for prime time. This is the worst upgrade experience I have ever had. I've had at least 10 macs since the colour classic.

So I upgraded to Leopard on my mbp from Tiger. I could not maintain wireless contact after sleep and could not access shared printer. Basic stuff I need every moment. Yes, this is too much like Windows.

Downgraded back to Tiger and lost all data (not really, I know that now).

Back to Leopard and had to restore data. Enter permissions hell. Make big mistake of going to applly to enclosed folders. Big mistake but I'm not alone in that.

Still have to restore iPhoto files but they're visible, so far so good.

BTW, wireless (about 5' away) is a bit more stable, still can't access shared printers (I know they're called something else now, but it's just around the corner same place it was before and the new system can't find it.)

Questions:

1. In any finder window there are two hard drives. They are identical. There's only one on the desktop. In the old days, I would look for two system folders but what do I look for now? (There isn't two system folders.)

2. Trying all the permission repairs, fsck, etc, I changed my password. Now, whenever a password is requested I'm not sure which one is wanted. Am I going to be safe to change the new one back to the one I had before?

3. Probably least of my worries but where did Tiger keep the address book files? They did not update at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel bad for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and sorry for rude skepticism of some of the other posters on this site. The double hard drive may be an alias. It might help to run disk utility/get info to see which one is active and which is the copy. Regarding address book in tiger, the info should be in the user's library, not the system library. I copied address book from one computer running Tiger to one using Leopard without much problem. Good luck

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Yes, I'm sure *Leopard* is at fault for these problems. *Leopard* sure does suck to cause so many unbelievable difficulties. If I were you, I'd sue Apple for all the problems *Leopard* has caused. Thanks for teaching me that my install must not be *Leopard* because I haven't had any of these problems. I guess I must be running Tiger or Ocelot or something, but it sure couldn't be *Leopard* with massive defects like that not present on my system.

Good luck with the lawsuit, and I hope the next OS release works out better for you. Sincerely. Cheers.

·
Bald by choice
9,060 Posts
Questions:

1. In any finder window there are two hard drives. They are identical. There's only one on the desktop. In the old days, I would look for two system folders but what do I look for now? (There isn't two system folders.)
Just in case you're referring to the finder right-hand pane, just ctrl+click on the drive icon and select remove from sidebar.

jb.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the nice words, emorycreek, my first thoughts were of an alias. However, typically, an alias is italicized. They are both the same in appearance and font.

Thanks, JamesB, as stated above, they're both identical. I don't know which is the "real one". I'm afraid of what will happen if I remove the ''wrong one".

Chas_m, umm, thanks, too. Not sure what that was all about but it might be a good time to review the difference between polarities and continuums.

·
Bald by choice
9,060 Posts
Thanks, JamesB, as stated above, they're both identical. I don't know which is the "real one". I'm afraid of what will happen if I remove the ''wrong one"..
Remove either one, they are just alias's pointing to the same drive, easy thing to put back should you want to.
You can drag-n-drop pretty much anything you want into the left pane of the
Finder.

jb.

·
Bald by choice
9,060 Posts
Here is something easy to try,
go to Finder-Preferences-Sidebar
Deselect all the Devices, then 1 by 1 reselect them.
This might clear the rogue HD icon.

jb.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is something easy to try,
go to Finder-Preferences-Sidebar
Deselect all the Devices, then 1 by 1 reselect them.
This might clear the rogue HD icon.

jb.
Bingo, whatever that did internally, it worked.

Deselect the Hard Disk took one away, left the other.
Deselect the External Disk took the other away.

So, deselect everything and then reselect everything and only Hard Disk showed up.

Thank you very much.

How do you feel about the password question?

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Is it just me, or does chas_m have a particularly annoying way of responding to some of the postings in this forum?
I really try not to be rude, but when people post lies, get called on it (by others) stick by the lies and imply that I'M the liar, yes I do get a bit snippy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really try not to be rude, but when people post lies, get called on it (by others) stick by the lies and imply that I'M the liar, yes I do get a bit snippy.
I can't begin to tell you how much I've appreciated your input. However, right now, I'm happy and getting actual, focused responses from people who know troubleshooting. Please try not to be a distraction.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
87,822 Posts
Perhaps then try to understand that Leopard is full of faults. Just because you have not experienced them is no reason to belittle we who live daily with the fact that Leopard sucks for many of us.

Condescending attitudes make no friends, nor does a bad OS release make it easy for those of us who have to live with it.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Perhaps then try to understand that Leopard is full of faults.
Well, see, this is where I seem to have the problem. I use Leopard pretty extensively, and I daresay I'm on various Macs for more hours in the day than most people here (which is saying something ... probably nothing good! :)

So if Leopard is "full of faults" as you say*, then why am I (and a sizable number of others here) not experiencing them?? As I say, I use the OS pretty extensively. If the OS was defective, all users would be experiencing the issue. That is provably not the case, therefore the problem isn't Leopard per se.

*I will happily acknowledge that Leopard isn't bug-free, nor is ANY release of OS X now or ever. I will also readily say that I know Apple is preparing patches for 10.5.1, therefore there must be identifiable bugs. I've run across a couple of minor ones myself. But a "bug" isn't the same thing as a defective OS. It's just that simple.

My position, which is supported by a LONG history with the Macintosh in the service and support arena, is that some form of user error OR installation defect is behind easily 85-95% of the problems we've seen here. I have studiously NOT said that people who are having issues with Leopard MUST be doing something wrong, but IN MOST CASES that's what it ultimately turns out to be.

Apple is entirely capable of releasing a defective DVD copy of Leopard. I'm not talking about those sorts of problems. I'm saying the actual PRODUCT (the OS) is *not* inherently defective, and the fact that millions of people have successfully installed it without issues proves this. I know it doesn't soothe anyone who's having frustrating problems, but it doesn't make it any less true.

If anyone reading this is having serious problems with Leopard, do the following:

1. Back up your user folder and all third-party material.
2. COMPLETELY ERASE the boot drive. Not "Erase and Install," I mean NUKE & PAVE.
3. Reinstall Leopard.
4. Import your user folder WITHOUT any third-party apps, mods or plug-ins.
5. Test.
(if you got this far, your problem almost certainly went away. If it didn't, you have defective hardware or a defective DVD.)
6. Add your third-party apps et al back in a little at a time, and re-test each time.
(this will isolate whether Leopard has a fault or third-party programs have faults. One guess which one it will be 99% of the time.)

If you've done the above exactly as written and you're STILL having problems, please post them. If you're unwilling to do the above, that's fine, but don't blame Leopard till you can prove it's the problem rather than myriad other factors. "It worked in Tiger" is not a valid proof of a problem with Leopard; it only suggests incompatibility of a third-party element with Leopard.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
I have read many of your posts in the ehMac forums chas_m, and I would have to say that you certainly do not seem to
I stand by my statement, and any casual review of my posts will show that I'm generally helpful, friendly and candid.

Some posts have been MISinterpreted as rude, and some posts WERE rude. A few were rude when they shouldn't have been, and I regret them (and generally say so in a later post). Some posters have RICHLY DESERVED the rudeness they've gotten from me and other posters. The "DVD ripper" spammer moron, for example.

I'll endeavour to be less rude, less often IF you endeavour to review my posts more carefully -- with an eye to the non-rude ones (which make up the vast majority of my posts, for example this one). Agreed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chas, setting terms before you'll "endeavour to be less rude" seems just a little obstinate to me.

I have, in fact, read many of your postings and the good and helpful ones do not make up for the rude and bitchy ones, as far as I'm concerned.

I am personally very tired of reading the angry and arrogant musings of so many bloggers and forum posters throughout the web, who have become too used to their safe and anonymous seats in front of their computer screens.

It is evident that you have spent many hours in front of your Mac,
more hours in the day than most people
as you say. I'm sure you have plenty of knowledge and expertise with a
LONG history.... in the service and support arena
and that you feel very empowered by that. Perhaps though,you have lost sight of the fact that not everyone lives the life that you do. We are not all MAC GURUS and some people just need their computers to work, without spending countless hours trouble shooting them. If someone in this forum posts a complaint (even a rant) because they are frustrated and looking for help, it seems to me your choice is clear - be helpful, or move on.

Also, I would think it's more important to recognize that some of your posts are seen as being rude and that perhaps you should be aware of that as you type, then to decide that your posts have been misinterpreted and continue to offend people. Or to spend time deciding who "richly deserves" your rudeness.

You have your own users group, do you not? Perhaps you might keep your more surly postings for it - although I'm sure there's plenty of people of in Victoria who might feel the same way as I do.

Welcome to Canada

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stand by my statement, and any casual review of my posts will show that I'm generally helpful, friendly and candid.

Some posts have been MISinterpreted as rude, and some posts WERE rude. A few were rude when they shouldn't have been, and I regret them (and generally say so in a later post). Some posters have RICHLY DESERVED the rudeness they've gotten from me and other posters. The "DVD ripper" spammer moron, for example.

I'll endeavour to be less rude, less often IF you endeavour to review my posts more carefully -- with an eye to the non-rude ones (which make up the vast majority of my posts, for example this one). Agreed?

You thought that was a nice one? Okay, I see the problem. You're taking credit for Lars' resolution, telling about your perfect life and accusing others of BS.

That particular USB issue is the subject of several threads on the Apple discussion boards.

BTW, how many Leopard issues will it take for you to acknowledge it's not going well?

Never mind, don't answer. You're being a distraction.

If you can't answer the password question, just run along. Really, just keep moving on, nothing for you here.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Chas, setting terms before you'll "endeavour to be less rude" seems just a little obstinate to me.
A poor turn of phrase. I will endeavour to be less rude anyway. I hope others will as well. :)

You have your own users group, do you not?
No. When I say in my signature "My MUG" I do not mean I own it or am the head of it. I mean it's the MUG to which I belong. I am just a member and officer, nothing more. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify that, I will amend my signature to make that more obvious. I encourage MUG membership wherever practical (I know some of our regular posters don't have this option!).

Welcome to Canada
Thank you!

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,114 Posts
I am personally very tired of reading the angry and arrogant musings of so many bloggers and forum posters throughout the web, who have become too used to their safe and anonymous seats in front of their computer screens.

It is evident that you have spent many hours in front of your Mac, as you say. I'm sure you have plenty of knowledge and expertise with a and that you feel very empowered by that. Perhaps though,you have lost sight of the fact that not everyone lives the life that you do. We are not all MAC GURUS and some people just need their computers to work, without spending countless hours trouble shooting them. If someone in this forum posts a complaint (even a rant) because they are frustrated and looking for help, it seems to me your choice is clear - be helpful, or move on.
For my part, I am frustrated by blatant fanboyism masquerading as meaningful analysis. Apple isn't perfect and neither is Leopard, and that's ok. It's still great, cutting edge technology. I think it really sucks when any time that someone writes anything that looks like a criticism of an Apple product, we immediately have to listen to a bunch of defense of Apple's inherent fabulousness. As I've said before-this is a huge and highly profitable company-they make stuff-we buy it because we like it. It is a business relationship, not a family, not a community, and certainly not a religion. Note that I am referring to our relationship with Apple, not with other users.

I feel better now.

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,114 Posts
I messed up my last post. The first two paragraphs are a quote from the previous poster, but didn't show up that way. Guess I better figure out how to use this board, huh?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.