Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iPodLounge has an excerpt from an LA Times article:

"The Canadian Copyright Board said Friday that downloading pirated music and burning it onto CDs was legal under Canadian law. Uploading songs onto file-sharing networks remains taboo. [...]

"On Friday, the board said it believed the exemption applied to downloaded songs 'as long as two conditions are met: The copy must be for the private use of the person making it, and it must be made onto an audio recording medium.' And the board extended the exemption to some portable music players, such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod."

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=2266_0_7_0_C

I've read this stated as an opinon before, but now it seems to be coming from an offical source. It's an interesting turn of events for Canadians, to say the least.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am a little confused on this because I am not sure if they mean songs that you download onto your computer from a CD, or songs downloaded from the Internet? I noticed that you have to login to the LA link, but can someone clarify this (with a link to the official word)?

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
There's been pretty wide coverage of this turn of events. Apparently, you can download all you want -- using P2P applications.

Bizarre, but apparently true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.