Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks to me as if the formac gallery 2010 at $1100(US) is the best deal, and best fit for the programmer.

The Apple 20" display (1680 x 1050) is $100(US) more and only has a virtical space of 1050 which would suck for programming.

Do Mac resellers around you carry Formac displays?

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
CRT=value. ;)
You could buy 3 good offlease 21" Trinitrons or 2 top of the line new 19's all of which do 1600x1200 for the price of the single LCD.

Never makes any sense to me unless you have a closet sized work space. :cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with Macdoc.

I use a 17" LCD and a 19" CRT.

Best of both worlds but for graphics and your money the CRT is a better value.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
I'm using a 15" Apple LCD and the 21' Dell and it really bugs me the blacks are not deep on the LCD thos they sure are good looking bits of technology.

The G5 and Studio Display look very sweet with the HK Sound Sticks -a bit of sci-fi environment :D

But it's 18 hours a day on the Trinny and the blacks are black. :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that CRT is the best value.

Now then, given that LCD is the question, what is your answer. You have a world of knowledge to share.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
There are only 3 LCD screen manufacturers so there is little in the technology to choose from tho it's getting better and cheaper as time goes by.

20" screens run 1600x1200 and a very few 19" are native

Look for maybe last years model with a 3 year backlight warranty.

We don't recommend them so we do not have a lot of specifics to give you.

OLED will be a different story but the 20" is only in prototype. Look for a deal is all I can advise. :cool:
2x17" might be smarter and cheaper if the form factor allows.
30% more workspace in a pixel count - likely less money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
check out the info on formac on macintouch. last i read, they were not a good vendor to deal with.

that said, if you've ever seen the formac displays, you'll notice the construction leaves a lot of room for improvement.

what's interesting is that it seems as though 1600x1200 isn't very popular. sony's is no longer listed on their cdn site. granted, they weren't the cheapest, they did have dual inputs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts