Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article about a Apple laptop initiative. While there is nothing out of the ordinary with this arrangement, it got me to thinking about what happens to the computers that were leased and then returned, rather than to be bought outright. Anyone know?? Just curious.

"The district is leasing for a four-year period a total of 711 laptop computers — 661 for students and 50 for teachers — from Apple, the Cupertino, Calif.-based computer giant. The total cost is $859,782.

At the end of the lease period, the district will have the option of purchasing the computers or entering a lease for new equipment."

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
In most cases the leased machines are bought out by Apple resellers that are auth. to sell used equipment - CPUsed, Simmply Mac, CSC etc. With the mention of the situation below I wish Apple provided an off-lease site like DELL (www.dfsdirect.ca) they take back machines that were leased by a district school or Corp. for eg. clean them etc. and sell them for a fraction of the orig. list.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
Say Finch, is there any place on the web where a person can peruse a list of these retailers who "sell them for a fraction of the orig. list" ?

Or better yet, a list of the items themselves?

I know many people who would love to have an inexpensive machine for backup.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finch, thank you for this info.

One more question. What exactly is a "refurbished computer" and an "open box" computer? FutureShop was selling a "refurbished iMac" and an "open box iBook" this weekend. A friend saw my new iBook and it was "love at first sight". However, his need for instant gratification pushed him to FutureShop, where there were only these forms of computers on hand right now. I advised him to wait at least a week prior to a purchase. I gave the same advice to myself back in Aug. of 2001 when I was about to send off for a newly issued white iBook. I waited a "bit" longer than I intended, but at least I do have one now, and enjoying the Mac experience once again.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Refurb means it had a problem that is now fixed. Open Box usually means is was a demo or someone bought it and returned it.

As far as finding the off lease goods, it's not easy. Unless you have a friend on the inside that is. Most leasing companies don't want to deal with 1's or 2's. They want to find someone that will buy them all or at least a big portion of them. In this case, if Apple leased them directly, I would guess they would end up on the hot deals page maybe?

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D_G, thanks for this info. I have seen the sticker "refurbished" on many a FutureShop item, and that is the first things I look for when I see an item with a deep discount. Merci.

·
Registered
281 Posts
off-leased computers are not hard to find, especially if you work in areas with leased computers. usually, the workplace that provides the computer gives the user the choice at the end of the lease term whether or not they want to keep it.

i know this off experience... i work at the university of toronto right now, and they have this Dell inspiron that i use. it's leased, and i have the choice at the end to pay for it all and keep it.

if i don't want to keep it, i just return it.. and i get another.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howing, I teach at Memorial University here in St.John's, and we have the same arrangement with IBM. I have a four year old Aptive in my office at work, and don't want to change. My dean wanted to send it back, rather than pay the $600 to buy it outright, and replace it with a $3500 IBM laptop. I wanted to keep the old Aptiva, and they actually gave me a difficult time about NOT upgrading, although my way saved them $2900. Go figure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dr. G., LOL! Schools somehow have a "thing" about wasting money. They seem to replace computers every three years.. I believe they're on a contract. I know that Dell is contracted to replace everything from monitors to keyboards every few years or so. I know this because I talked to the installation guy when he was in my office.

He was laughing at me that I'd rather keep my portable than to use the spanking new one he just helped me set up on the desk!

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
"My dean wanted to send it back, rather than pay the $600 to buy it outright, and replace it with a $3500 IBM laptop. I wanted to keep the old Aptiva, and they actually gave me a difficult time about NOT upgrading, although my way saved them $2900. Go figure."

Dr. G., but did it? Lease payments are traditionaly a write-off for most businesses, and I assume a university is no different. Buying your machine for the $600 means it would have to be depreciated, (usually straight line over three years with computer products), and since it is already over three years old, it now has NO value. My guess is the dean would, in the long haul, have a better tax position for the university by giving you that new IBM. I'm not an expert, but I bet there are others on this board who can verify this to be true.

Cheers.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sinc, I can't speak for the tax situation our university is in, but I agree with howing re the tendency to waste money. Still, what do I need a new computer for to merely access the web for my web courses and reply to email? As well, a laptop does not have a big enough screen for my vision. I DID ask if it was possible to get a 17" PowerBook, but I had about as much a chance of getting that approved as I would have being named Prime Minister.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Dr G.: I used to run a computer rental business in the early 90s. Many variables are at work, but the most important are that any machine that is 4 years old is useless, especially in the Windoze world, because you need X times the memory/processor speed to run the current generation of apps.

Second, after three years, the reliability goes through the floor. Things like keyboards, screens and power supplies will pack up, and repairing is definitely not worth it. I remember that we had a policy of 'compulsory upgrade at the same monthly price' built-into our contracts, so that we had the option to retire machines that were too high a repair risk...

I did some end of lease negotiations a few months ago (as a client) and it seems that the current trend is to let you extend the lease for a small monthly price: the lessor definitely doesn't want the machine back, and is happy to let you have it for another year or two at low monthly rental cost. I guess it's a form of win/win as you don't need to take title of the machine and incur the depreciation as described above.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moscool, this is what happened to my Mac LCII and a Mac Classic used by another faculty member (we were the only two Mac users at the time in the Faculty of Education). His Classic had a cracked motherboard, and he was not allowed to replace it himself out of his own grant money. My LCII was not allowed to be upgraded to go online in those early days of the Internet. Our dean at the time was very anti-Mac, for some unknown reason. When my Mac was scheduled to disposal (priced by the pound!!!!!), I switched an old computer that was actually in the trash (???) for my Mac. They came and took this old computer away, thinking it was a Mac. The LCII is still somewhere on campus, being used by someone who appreciates it's functionality.

Thus, whenever anyone questioned my allegiance to the Macintosh computer in this forum, I was able to remain steadfast knowing that I was able to save at least one Mac from the garbage pile.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
They are usually sold at auction by the lessor, I personally think leasing anything below a $100,000 Unix RISC server is insane, but people seem to do it none-the-less.

I think Apple lease returns are sold off by "Dovebid" who are absolutly horrible, they nickel and dime you to death on EVERYTHING.

There are like 12 differant sircharges they apply at their leisure with no apparent rational behind them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.