Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys,

I have a few questions regarding the reliability of the LCD iMac G4s (especially from you who own one).

1) I'm thinking of getting the middle-end one, featuring: 700 MHz G4, built-on 15" LCD, Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW), 40 GB HD, 512 MB of RAM, nVidia Geforce 2 MX 32 MB, 56k, Pro Speakers.

Total: $2,499.00 CDN

The thing is, I don't want a tower, because I don't expand much, plus I love the iMac's LCD display. I also don't like the eMac as much and it's look is... unattractive to me, and again, no LCD like the iMac.

1) How's the performance in the Finder? Mac OS X performance for general use? For gaming, I realize its video card is lackluster, but will probably still do me good considering I play outdated games (UT, Q3).

2) When do you think we will see a new line of iMac G4's and a possible price drop? (predictions!) I don't want to pick up a iMac now and see new ones in 3 weeks and $300.00 cheaper.

Looking forward to some more information. I've already read over www.apple.com/imac/ for all the general information a few times. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I bet we don't see anything significant until summer/back to school time. My thought is just based on what seems to be the cyclical upgrades to consumer Macs. I believe the next updates will come to the iBooks in spring.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2) When do you think we will see a new line of iMac G4's and a possible price drop? (predictions!) I don't want to pick up a iMac now and see new ones in 3 weeks and $300.00 cheaper. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definetly, definetly wait a few weeks IMHO. Don't say I didn't tell you. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
There is an iMac G4 700 Combo sitting on the desk beside mine, and it runs great! Finder performance is good, much better than my non-QE iBook.

Photoshop is noticably faster than my iBook, as is boot up. In fact it boots about 20-40% faster.

The 32MB graphics card is kind of ho hum compared to the 128 models that you can get for desktops, but on the other hand it is enough to run basically any game out right now (although on some you;d have to drop the settings a little)

--PB

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have had mine G4/700 since last March and have been very pleased with it Just upgraded to 10.2.3 and it is very snappy Have been in 9 classic about 3 times in the last 2 month I now wish I would have gone for the 800 Superdrive. I reasoned that since I did not have a digital movie camera that I would never want to burn DVD'...... forgeting that that is perhaps a perfect back up media ...oh well I think you would be more than happy with the purchase but do listen to Ehmax .. he usually has his ear to the ground

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
I'm sitting in front of my friend's 15" SuperDrive iMac right now - have had it all to myself for the past two weeks, and prior to that I set it up for her and have played around with it.

It's just faaaabulous!

Performance is grand... not that we're pushing it hard. The most intensive game that has been run on it is Ghost Recon (demo), and it's fine at 16 bit (32 bit chokes it).

I'm having a hard time imagining a 17" screen - the 15" is more than sufficient for what we do on it (which is to say, you won't feel 'cramped' on the 15")

Overall OSX performance is fine...

:D
M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts