Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
What was the song at the end? My dogs were barking since they entered the diner and I could not catch much of the song.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
What pressure? Yes, a fizzle, but I wonder what the other two endings were that were not utilized.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
The pressure to end an extraordinary series in an extraordinary way, of course.

In my experience the alternate endings are almost always abandoned because they were lesser takes - that's why they're alternate endings. Usually they just don't have the juice to deserve the grace note of a proper ending. But in this case I have to wonder. I think it was artistic but still a cop-out, however deftly executed. Way too open-ended.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Max, they had three endings ready, and chose this one. I long for the St. Elsewhere ending, which was really a twist.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Dr. G, they had three endings ready because they were nervous about wrapping the series up and couldn't decide what to do. That's my take. They had to implement one ending and I suppose this was the one they felt would make the strongest impact or hold truest to the theme and spirit of the show.

I liked what I saw of St. Elsewhere though I didn't watch it much so I can't comment on how it ended. All I can say is that it's tricky work to end a series on a high note.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Max, they had three endings ready, and chose this one. I long for the St. Elsewhere ending, which was really a twist.

i like that ending very much also
the sopranos ending was a cop out to leave the door wide open for a movie

just another example of how hollywood executives claim to be part of the "creative process" when in reality the only creativity they are interested in is "creating money"

booo on david chase and HBO

This is the way The Sopranos ends
Not with a bang, but with a whimper
- with apologies to T.S. Eliot

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Tommy's autistic imagination, a true classic ending. One of my fave series. Unequaled, loved it! IMHO.

:cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I agree with Michael and T. S. Elliot that it ended with a "wimper". Don't think this was selected for the sake of a possible movie, however, since too many of the main characters were already killed off.

I still want to know what song Tony selected at the diner. This is the key to the ending. I shall have to watch it again, this time without barking doxies, to get the full impact of the ending.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
gw, that ending of St. Elsewhere WAS one of the classic endings.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I agree with Michael and T. S. Elliot that it ended with a "wimper". Don't think this was selected for the sake of a possible movie, however, since too many of the main characters were already killed off.

I still want to know what song Tony selected at the diner. This is the key to the ending. I shall have to watch it again, this time without barking doxies, to get the full impact of the ending.

"Don't stop believing" by Journey
link to youtube live concert video

Lyrics

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Thanks, Michael.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Now, it all makes sense. Don't stop believing that you too can become a "made man" and get great riches tax-free .............. and you too might get a bullet in your head.

"Strangers waiting
Up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching
In the night
Streetlights, people
Livin' just to find emotion
Hidin', somewhere in the night"

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Ascribing emotions like "nervous" and so on to the producers and directors of the Sopranos, because they ended the series a certain way, is somewhat ineffectual.

I like that it started much like it began, a story about a couple of families, home and work, and how they intertwined. You can't wrap it up in a "neat little package." This isn't the 19th century.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Ascribing emotions like "nervous" and so on to the producers and directors of the Sopranos, because they ended the series a certain way, is somewhat ineffectual.

I like that it started much like it began, a story about a couple of families, home and work, and how they intertwined. You can't wrap it up in a "neat little package." This isn't the 19th century.
LOL! Thank you, Doctor Timelord.

Hey, saying something is somewhat ineffectual is itself ineffectual... ain't it?

Ah, well, I didn't demand they tie it all up with a purdy bow. You must have imagined that... buffeted as you were by the storms of time.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I was hoping that the ducks would migrate back to Tony's pool. Closure and a sense of the circle of Life. Still, the family gathering and the sharing of onion rings was a slice of Americana, even for a Mafia Don.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I too was thinking about the ducks. Something positive for the ducks, at least, would have been enough. Why must they hang in some kind of televisual purgatory like this?

Well, on the bright side, I have part of my Sunday nights back. Now if only I could kick my Regenesis addiction.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Very true, Max. All in all, it was a good show over the years. This last season gave the AJ character far more latitude to develop the depth of his character. Sadly, Pussy was killed off far too soon. I always liked his character. Paulie was the one character I was hoping would get "bumped off" each season. There was a moment when he and Tony rented the boat that I thought he was going to slit his throat and "feed him to the fishes". No such luck.

I really miss the West Wing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts