Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rumormill seems to be saying that Virginia Tech will upgrade their PM G5s to Xserve G5s. I don't know if this makes sense. Would they be saving money in the long run going to Xserves? Obviously there would be advantages to using Xserves which were designed for server duty, but there's going to be at least a short-term cost to switching.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i would imagine one immediate benefit would be the savings in space. the Xserves stack up. You could probably fit 50 of them in a crate in an area of 4 or 5 G5's towers... The room could be smaller, and the Xserves use ECC memory, something I think Virginia Tech would like...

·
Registered
809 Posts
They could fit 40 Xservers where they now fit 12 G5's

Actually 12 dual processor nodes per rack is not bad. Have a look at the Big Sun or SGI SMP boxes. About the same. I dont think VTech is hurting for floor space, *and* they invested a lot in custom racks for G5.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
According to at least one report Apple will be giving them a one to one trade deal for G5 Xserves.

1 G5 tower = 1 G5 Xserve, so the only cost will be installing the new units and trying to figure out what to do with all the free space they'll suddenly have.

I wonder if they will increase the size of the cluster at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts