Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that an old Biway store on the north side of Queen Street East, east of Broadview, has been sold either to Apple or an Apple dealer. It's a huge space; I find it unlikely that a plain ol' Apple dealer would have bought it...more likely it's the real thing.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Not that I wish to doubt you, but as a new citizen who is dropping a potential bomb on us hopeful Canadian Mac users, I must ask where you have obtained your information.

Was this sale announced somewhere? Do you have a source at city hall? A realtor?

I hope your news is true, but I guess you need to make me a believer. ;) :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think that faar east would e an unusual location for an apple store. I would picture it closer to the core. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Buck, if it's "far east" you want, a suitable location in St.John's would be ideal. Then, new products could be launched on a given morning before the sun rose on anyone else in North America. Yes, St.John's would be an ideal location for an Apple store.

·
Registered
136 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heironymus:
I've heard that an old Biway store on the north side of Queen Street East, east of Broadview, has been sold either to Apple or an Apple dealer. It's a huge space; I find it unlikely that a plain ol' Apple dealer would have bought it...more likely it's the real thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats Cabbage town, i could see an Apple store opening there, its right on top of the Studio district and all the animation houses. A logical placement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
Was this sale announced somewhere? Do you have a source at city hall? A realtor?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source is a well-connected real estate developer who was interested in the space about a year and a half ago (it's been on the market at least that long). Note that she did say "Apple or an Apple dealer". My conjecture is based on the fact that it's too big for a lone Apple dealer. However, I've not been to an Apple Store so I'm not certain how well the space fits with their typical store size and architecture.

I actually took digital photos of the store's interior for her, but they were so dreadfully dull I have since deleted them. Sorry!

I suppose only time will tell...unless someone else has info we can mate with this to make a more accurate prediction.

Crossed fingers are also recommended! ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok ok! I hadn't thought of the studio thing. I meant in terms of walk in traffic closer to the core would make more sense. But as a destination it could be almost anywhere. If the only apple store in canada was in st. johns it would give me one more reason to go back east occasionally :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
If memory serves, that's awfully close to the MacWarehouse store front location. They have two stores side by side (one PC, one Mac) down near there so they might be moving to a different location. The Apple retail stores are not that huge really, (next size down from a typical Gap store in a mall) so, depending on the square footage I'd think that a large Apple dealer might be more likely (not sure if MacWarehouse actually has their warehouse space at their retail location or not).

In addition I would suggest that a location like that would be unusual for an Apple Store since they do try to cater to retail buyers/home users and not the institutional crowd (that would've brought the law suits on a lot faster if they started going after that turf :eek: )

... Btw "Heironymus", are you a power pop Graham Parker "OK Heironymus" Heironymus? or a sick, twisted Heironymus Bosch "Heironymus"? Just curious ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
Apple dealer.

Carbon Computing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmm, possibly, but this space is VASTLY larger than their Faema Building location. This is not a dinky Queen Street boutique...it's big, wide, and deep, comparable in size to...mmm...let's see...the HMV store on Yonge (though this is one floor and a basement). As I said, it was a Biway store a few years back.

Macwarehouse's actual "warehouse" is is Mississauga. I doubt that they'd set up on their own, without the INMAC (there's a confusing name for a PC dealer) or Microwarehouse accompaniment. Actually, I think the Microwarehouse bricks'n'mortar store is gone from that location, isn't it?

Another Mac dealer, CLICK ON (http://www.clickonmacs.com/) is on Eastern Avenue, a little south and east of the store in question.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
... Btw "Heironymus", are you a power pop Graham Parker "OK Heironymus" Heironymus? or a sick, twisted Heironymus Bosch "Heironymus"? Just curious<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, a little of each!

·
Registered
124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
If memory serves, that's awfully close to the MacWarehouse store front location.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a little note so no one makes a trip, I believe they closed down that walk-in location. They only have the Missisauga spot now with a pick-up counter.

EDIT: Just noticed Heironymus addressed this...
Yep, I'm pretty sure they closed up shop on Queen a few years ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to be the buster of the bubble I inflated, but I made a few phone calls today and have found out definitively that Carbon Computing will be taking up residence in the storefront at 772 Queen St. East sometime in April or May. So...no Apple Store...yet.

How'd you know, macspectrum?

·
Registered
137 Posts
For an Apple Store location I would think something like Bloor West in Yorkville would be the kind of location they would covet; like Nike, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, et al before them.

Otherwise they would be after an affluent suburburban location like the Heartland area of Mississauga (home of the first Krispy Kreme, Best Buy, etc.)

Carbon, as run by Ron Paley - a former Set Decorator from N.Y. - will be right at home in our film studio area. And they certainly need more space!

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elmer:
If Apple was planning to open stores somewhere outside the US, they would probably announce it. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly Apple did state that they would be opening a store or stores in Canada in the future. They didn't say when or where in Canada though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maybe they met Tuktayuktuk in 2017?

Well, I hope not... It's a long walk from Ottawa...

:D

:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts