Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that carry their laptops in this freezing Toronto weather, do you have some sort of insulation for your computer? Do they have special thermal sleeves or something? Do you think I could just carry my laptop in my backpack and it'll be fine?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Low tech: backpack in the front, inside the coat!

·
Registered
264 Posts
All this week I've had to bring my work laptop in the house instead of leaving it in my van. I forgot to the first day it got cold and I had to wait for it to thaw out before it would boot.

It was strange because at first I didn't equate the meesage "hard disk failure" to be related specifically to the cold weather; sometimes that's the normal Windows startup message.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I was worried about this too, so I looked up the environmental specs for my TiBook on Apples web page. It's supposed to be good down to -48C. Even here in Edmonton it dosen't get that cold very often.

So I've been carrying it in my briefcase two-and-from
campus (about a 30 minute walk) for the past two winters without any problems. YMMV.

Cheers

·
Registered
268 Posts
A little hint borrowed from my photography life...

I put my laptops and AC adapters in grocery store plastic bags, then put them in my carrying bag.

The reason is quite simple... condensation forms on the outside of the plastic bag when I come in from winter cold temperatures. By the time I take my coat off and am ready to use my laptop, any condensation that has formed on the outside of the bag has evaporated, indicating it is OK to take the laptop out of the expensive plastic grocery bag.

All electronic devices are affected, and the life of cameras and laptops can be extended by avoiding moisture INSIDE our precious devices.

I carry ZIPLOCK bags in my cameras bag just in case.

I learned this from taking pictures in ice arenas, then following performers. hockey players etc., to different temps outside the arenas. Great at the T.O. zoo!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
That's good advice, darntootin'. Condensation is the real killer for electronic devices.

I have been leaving my notebook at home when possible or making sure it was warm (ie: not leaving it in the car for long).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm an early riser. I get to work early enough to work on my writing before the busy day begins. Thus I take my laptop to and from work every day. Even during the deep freeze of the last few days.

I have gotten into the habit of putting it in the plastic bag every day regardless of the weather, as the units are warm when I leave work. I just don't take any chances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts