Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on laptops. I'm a photographer and I want to purchase something used that I can basically download images to from a flash card on location. I'd also like the flexibility of shooting to the computer as well. The camera is a canon and runs to the computer via usb. The download program is quite small so I wouldnt need a powerful unit but basically a transfer station because processing would be done back in the studio. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
The Powerbook G3 Lombards (Bronze keyboard) were the first models to have USB built in. They came in 333 and 400 Mhz. They also have a nice 14" screen. All the newer Powerbooks also have USB. The Powerbook line also has at least one PC card slot.

The iBooks also came with USB. The first ones came in orange, lime or blue clamshell cases. Screen size is 12". I'd avoid these ones unless you find a super deal.

New iBooks come in white and look more conventional. They also have firewire, and other video output options. There are 12" and 14" screen models. These are probably the best value right now. I'm not absolutely positive, but I don't think the iBooks have a PC card slot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Canon PowerShot A 40 with a 128 mb card and a TiBook, and the combo works great. One of my daughter in laws has the same camera and a 500 mz TiBook and also uses it no problem.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I have a 333 mhz Lombard that I use as my digital darkroom and depository, When I'm out and about I'll haul it around in my bag, When My flash cards fill up I'll empty them into my laptop and then put the laptop to sleep.

The PowerBook is handy for emptying my flash cards and if I get a chance to sit down somewhere (A coffee shop) I can review what I shot, The battery is only good for 2.5 hours though and the batteries are very costly (Lith-ion).

I'm sure that the (Mobile) laptop in the future will probably be replaced by some kind of PDA, But at the moment I haven't seen any that use a flash card or if they do they aren't that powerful.

What would be really nice is to have some kind of Bluetooth connection with the laptop from the camera, Then I could just shoot and download without pulling the laptop out of my bag, Wouldn't that be nice and hassle free.

P.S. The camera that I use is a Minolta Dimage 5.

Regards,
David
:cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
well... the issue is more what kind of budget you have in mind. You can go used and/or new. Used, yeah, I guess you could do a Lombard etc... You likely will find one for in and around $1K. But for $500 more, I would lean towards the new iBook 800 for $1499. That's a hot deal --> usb & FW. Take a look @ new prices from the Apple Canada store. As well, for $1999 you can also see that you can jump to a 900 Mhz unit w/ a combo drive, 40GB HD and a hot vid card and all (32 MB). Man - that's another hot deal. That's the best deal actually. A stand alone/self contained unit. Just drop some ram in and you're set.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Thomzeyl, what is the Canon A40 like? I read that the batt life was not the best. 4 AAs, right?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currentley have a titanium 800mhz that I use in the studio. Basically I'm looking for something low end that I can download my images to when I'm on location (when I say location I mean out on the street or in the wilds). When I take into consideration a 1gig flash card is over $500 and only holds 60 to 70 images a cheap used laptop to use basically as a repository seems like a better alternative.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
You could go for the new low-end ibook at $1499. It would hold alot of pics.

·
Registered
656 Posts
get anything.. ANYTHING that can take PCMCIA cards. you can get a PCMCIA card reader for your camera for $20, providing you're not using IBM microdrives on your camera as a medium (i'm guessing you're using compact flash cards). you won't have to fumble with cables!

probably a souped-up wallstreet would do. you can find em cheap.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I'd stay away from those IBM microdrives, They are real battery burners, Better to buy the newer Lexar Compact Flash (16x) 512MB, Lexar is making some nice ones that are getting cheaper.

See Canada Computer's web site:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/memory.html

I've even seen some new 2 gig flash cards out there, Vistek has some TwinMOS 2 Gig cards, However they are very expensive, It'd be cheaper to buy a laptop instead of the 2 gig card:

http://www.vistek.ca/details/results.asp?Level1=STOR+MEDIA&Level2=MEM+CARDS&Level3=CAM+FLASH

The trouble with moving parts is...Sometimes they stop moving.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts