Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to the ratio of laptop to desktop users.

Which ever is your primary machine at the moment.

I am using my iBook these days as I am really only hacking code for a client contract.

And You....?

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
350Mhz G4 Tower/ 19" monitor and 12" Al Powerbook on wireless LAN.

Desktop for general computing, email, video on iMovie, surfing etc. I like my comfy chair and the 19" monitor.

Powerbook for mobility, on road and at home... hence the 12" model. Also it has the superdrive so I do all my CD/DVD burning on it.

I'd say it's a 60/40 split...60 going to the trusty tower, but the PB could replace the older tower easily.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Primary would be my iBook.
On the weekends it's the PC for some games

Maybe makes this into a poll?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
we have 2 desktop mac's (flat panel imac, g4 tower) and an ibook for travel etc...desktops are way faster than the laptops for playing games etc...Mark

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
G5 on my main working system - multiple monitors but we use an iBook on the office desk now and my daughter swithced from a tower to an iBook with a mouse.

We will be campaigning this holiday season on dual use systems ( aided by a pile of 12" beauties ).

With many graphics clients moving to better boxes and OSX boxes the portables offer a lot and a good transition.
The only downside is lack of flexibility down the road if something simple goes wonky :(
But at current prices there is a "throwaway" aspect that is kind of worrying.

I think for many a tower + a portable is a great strategy and they are certainly no slouches unless you are into really heavy duty use.
My daughter was skeptical after having an 867 tower but the 900 iBook was "jest fine, thankee" :cool:

·
Registered
728 Posts
its 50/50.
cube @ home and powerbook in the office.
my G4 tower and imac both gathering dust, although all connected via 2 airport netwroks and 3 printers.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,497 Posts
I am using my new 14" iBook for iMovie and iPhoto, and for venturing into the land of ehMacLand (thanks to the Zoom feature), and my Dell 8300 desktop for teaching my web courses (Safari still has issues with WebCT), and for grading printed assignments (since I have to spread out and I don't want a staple to get near my iBook). It is a good balance.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I too use both. My ibook is more of an entertainment machine, while when I need to get some real work done its on my G4 tower.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Traded a G3 B/W for a foray into iBook land. I am getting used to the keyboard, albeit slowly.
I have a 17" external monitor but I find the 14" screen has enough real estate to function.
It's really a lot of fun, the iBook is pretty powerful.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I could not imagine not being able to pick my machine up and take it wherever I want.

Powerbooks (12" PB G4 and PB 140) and PC Laptops (Thinkpad T23, Toshiba Tecra 5200 and NEC Versa LX), it is for me... well not counting the kids PM 5xxx's, and my colectable Colour Classic, or the 3 Classic's, the Classic II and the 512

We have a few computers in the house.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
When I am writing in earnest, I use my eMac in my home office. It is my workhorse for sure.

Once I kick back, I carry my 12" G4 1 Ghz Powerbook to the living room and let it run "wifi" while I watch TV or read. That way I can keep an eye on you guys.

In the summer, the laptop becomes my companion in the motor home.

I take the laptop to the bedroom at bedtime, where I listen to a half hour of old time radio before I fall asleep.

I know I am spoiled, but I love it.

Cheers

:D

[ November 30, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Sinc ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
My new 12" G4 iBook is a pretty exciting machine that I can't seem to leave alone, however I'm still addicted to the speed and real estate that my desktop offers.The iBook was purchased to cover my work needs while the desktop is for all of my dream projects. Having both makes life pretty comfy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
G4 Desktop with 21" monitor is primary. Also cube and 21 Studio display in my son's room, however he and my daughter fight for the 14" ibook though it mostly stays put in her room. It's mine when I must do work outside of the home using a mluetooth phone for connection. At home all are wired via airport card in my G4.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a commercial artist, my G4 867 and 21"Cinema Display are my work machine. I love the real estate on the monitor, and I don't get the eye strain that I did with CRT monitors. Just became a laptop owner in the last month and love the portability, it's become my communications machine- email, internet and it's an additional back up. I'm thinking about a small drawing tablet for the iBook, for on the go sketching and painting.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
as much as I'm all about laps, I still have my iMac as a DT. But I'm just holding onto it. Main unit is Pismo - and will be a laptop for the remainder of my career!

H!

·
Registered
30 Posts
17" PB is my primary machine. It's setup like a desktop, with external keyboard and mouse, with the PB sitting on an iCurve (sweet setup).

The 17" can of course pickup and go. I also have my Rev A 12" PB as backup if there is an occasion where the 17" would be a bit unwieldly.

I've been without a desktop computer for 2.5 years, and it's safe to say I don't miss it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts