Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just got hired on at webdevolpment/prepress firm (www.driven.ca) and will be needing a laptop. When I leave I will get to take the machine with me. I will be running:
InDesign 2
Illustrator 10
Photoshop 7
Adobe Acrobat
Fireworks MX
Dreamweaver MX

The machine will be running exclusivley in OS X, due to that fact that the are both PC and Macs there that all need to network to each other.

I have about a $2000-$2500 budget total (meaning tax in)
My first thought was a Pismo, but they are not that fast in OS X. Plus I need a warrenty. So then I thought that a new base model iBook with 640mb Ram might work. I am hoping for a price drop on them after mac world.

What I really want however is a Tibook with at least 512 of ram. However I can not afford a new one, and I can't take a chance on a used one with out applecare. I am aslo concerend that if I do get a Tibook that it will get damaged will transporting from work and home. In the summer I like to ride my mountain bike instead of driving, and I am concerned that a Tibook might not be ruggeded enough.

Ti owners how rugged are they??? It will probably take a beating or two.

I know that the ibook can handle a beating, but I can not afford the 14.1 (I will have a external monitor for it, but not all the time).

I also know that the Pismo can handle a beating, but then there is the speed and warrenty questions. The machine MUST be reliable.

What are your guys thoughts?? I need a machine by about Jan 10th at the latest.
Used Pismo, New ibook or used Tibook??

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
You should be able to pick up one of the models with the Radeon Mobility 16Mb video card within that price range. And even if it is a little more, you would do well to spend the extra for QE compatibility. Everything is much snappier when you can take advantage of it.

The are alright in terms of ruggedness (as i am sure Macnutt is about to point out) not as rugged as a Pismo, or even a new iBook.

Does the screen have to be large? Because the current iBook (800 G3, 12", Radeon 7500 32MB) model is a great deal, and not to shabby a performer. You could pick up a used 700/Radeon 16MB model for around that price too.

Personally, I'd take the new iBook and then load it up with RAM, Airport and etc.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You get to take the machine with you?? whoa... nice. can you get something more expensive and cough up the diff? That would be ti-ght. I mean, maybe get the 14" ibook as you'll likely just be coughing up some tax (I love the case on those). If you have more dough, maybe you can get the new Ti. Or look around for a retailer with some extra Tis (like the 667). What about that post about Demo gear from Apple??. Older stock @ a good price. Negotiable?? Not sure although worth asking. Good luck with search AND job. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are going to be doing a lot of 'onsite' work and traveling don't even think about a Ti book, they are not very rugged at all. Remember the the first series of Sony Viao's, a stiff knock from an elbow on a train or in a conference room will have your shiny Ti in the shop. I learned the hard way.

I would buy a top end iBook they are much more durable.

That's what I traded for and I'm way happier with it, it takes minor bumps and knocks no problem.

Good luck, either way a nice deal getting to keep what ever you buy...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well tomorrow is MWSF and I will see if there will be a price drop on the iBook. But by tomorrow night I will HAVE to have something ordered. So any input you guys could give tonight would be a huge help.

Really anything you could say would me much appreciated. Even if it is your favorite or choice of the three.

Thanks a millon

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
As a Pismo owner I thought I'd chime in. The Pismo is definitely a rugged computer and there always seems to be a few used ones for sale. But a G4 Powerbook will definitely help for OS X and the applications you mentioned. I haven't even installed OS X on my 400 Mhz Pismo. One of the higher-end iBooks would be good too. Maybe you can find a used Ti... say a 667 and get a good case?

On the warrantee issue, you can get Applecare on used Macs, but there's probably a limit to how old and for how many years. Macdoc or one of the guys may be able to help you on this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got one of the new Titaniums (867mhz) and it's fabulous. I never thought the one inch wider screen would make so much difference until I started using it.

As for the case, it seems reasonable durable, but time will tell. I had a Wallstreet G3 prior to it, and the case, although much thinner and lighter, seems stiffer then the G3. As with most electronics, dropping it would be unadvisable, but with reasonable care I don't see why a Titanium wouldn't hold up to some travel. I take mine to job sites and use it twice a week teaching at college.

For your $2500 budget, I'd take a look for a discontinued or lightly used Titanium.

Most of my work is for print but many of the application are the same you use, Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 5. They're all snappy on the Titanium.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Nothing beats a Pismo for rugged. I lugged my old Pismo to Bosnia and back again several times and it just kept on ticking...no matter how much pain I threw at it.

Get yourself a 500MHz G3 PowerBook, max out the RAM at 1GB and knock yourself out. It'll jump through hoops for you. ;) :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Nick, as an owner of a Ti667 and previous owner of a Pismo 500 here's my bit.

For your money I'd look at a Pismo, max out the RAM and look at the G4 board for it.

The iBook is fine but I play with my wife's "little" 12" 700 now and then and for what I do it would drive me nuts.

I use many of those same programs for video and web stuff too.

As for the Ti not being as rugged, hey I work everywhere, I drag this beast around all over and so far so good.

The Pismo is a great machine, but I wouldn't keep thinking it's indestructible though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nick, do I have to keep haunting you? I honestly thought that you where kidding when you started drooling over my new toy...er...necessary aquisition. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick:
Hello
So then thought that a new base model iBook with 640mb Ram might work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am very interested in this option

maybe someone can explain the gains from increased ram on a base model as opposed to a 100mhz cpu speed increase of the next higher model?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You may want to check out the new PowerBooks. 12", 15" and now a 17"

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well

Mu dream machine is know a 12 Ti book. But after thinking and looking at the budget I am going to go for a brand new 800mhz 12.1 ibook.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts