Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the known issues of he various Apple laptops?
Batteries are exempt.

Wallstreet-rev a-overheating
Wallstreet-rev b-hinge breaking and/or loosening
Lombard-usb port failure
Pismo-pink screen and/or keyboard failure
G4 400/500-hinge breaking
G4 500/667-same?
G4 667/800-?
G4 867/1.0-?
G4 867 12"-heat issues
G4 1.0 12"-?
G4 1.25 15"-white spots on screen
G4 1.0 17"-?
G4 1.33 17"-?
Ibooks I know nothing about so will leave it to others.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
There have been some known problems with the Pismos DVD players breaking.

Also Lombards manufactured during a certain time period, (can't remember time) have been known to have their processor board malfuntion (I think this may have been caused by the original power adapters, that is why they had the trade in program for the ufo adapters, that is just speculation though).

Apple's discusssion boards are always a good place to research powerbooks before buying one.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
There have been some known problems with the Pismos DVD players breaking.
This was also true on many Ti Powerbooks with slot-loading DVD-ROM drives (Rev. 1/A).

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The PB12 overheating problem seems to have largely gone away with 10.3.2: the fan quicks in more often and for longer - less heat. Coupled to battery 1.1 you get about the same usage, maybe a bit more. Altogether a better 'package' ;)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The main issue with my laptop is that I have with my laptop is that there is a rut in my couch where I usually sit now. :D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Lombard-usb port failure
I haven't had that happen yet, Although I don't usually use
them (Except for a puck mouse), I have a USB PCMCIA card for
true USB 2 speeds.

I have however had keys fall off from the keyboard though.
Although since getting the keyboard replaced I haven't had
that problem happen again due to a precaution of having a
keyboard cover to keep the keys from touching the screen
when I close the laptop. (Another problem with some of the
Powerbooks and Bronze key Powerbooks)

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I second the "heat issues" of the 12" Rev.1 867 PowerBook, I still have burn marks on my lap, and I got rid of it two months ago. Despite the burning sensation I get during flashbacks, and the warping issue, it was still a great machine, and I look forward to seeing what Macworld brings, as I may be getting a new little PowerBook soon after.

:D

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I have a Pismo 400 and the only issue I have ever had with it was the fact that it will NOT run OSX. This is a well-documented problem with some of the 400's, apparently....and there is no known fix as far as I'm aware of.

My Pismo is very happy on 9.1 right now. But I hardly ever use it anymore now that I no longer travel very much.

Too bad it won't run Ten. I love that PowerBook, and it was soooo rugged. Screen never went pink, either.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I have to say that 10.3.2 has improved the heat issue with my 12" PB G4 (Rev.A).

The machine is not nearly as hot as it was before. I don't know what they did, but wow!

The only problem is that now I have to turn the heat up in my office as my PB was doubling as a space heater ;)

PS. I had Jaguar running on a PB G3 Wallstreet 233 (14.1) just fine... it wasn't the fastest thing going but it worked and was rock solid.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a Pismo 400 and the only issue I have ever had with it was the fact that it will NOT run OSX.
Odd... april is in a few months. Why the joke??
The only Pismo issue that I have is that it will not u/g that VRAM, and that they jerk you for new batts ($300 - 3rd party now that Apple scrapped them) Otherwise, just a little slow @ times but it's too nice to let go...

H!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
There are no known issues with the 17" powerbooks except theft.... They attract attention and lust. Mine's over 6 months old and has nary a mark on it (despite being lugged over 4 continents), not a single bad pixel, no heat issues, etc. Tis a true gem.

My previous 667 Ti book had no issues apart from peeling paint. Nor did the Wallstreet before it (until an airport screener dropped it on its end). Before that was a Duo230 which is still a lovely form factor, albeit ancient history.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Ohenri...I am not pulling your leg. I spent almost two weeks in september of 2002 trying to get my beloved Pismo to run Jaguar. To no avail.

Since then I have read numerous accounts of others who have had this same problem (it seems to be confined to one single production run of the 400mhz model)

Also, my local reseller says that there is no known fix for it. It's a firmware problem. Make that two different resllers who have said that to me. Ones that I trust, BTW.

If you have some sort of info that proves them wrong...and that will let me enjoy OSX on my Black Beauty...then I'm all ears!

Please speak. I'm listening! :cool:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Macnutt, did you follow the huge, long thread over at Macintouch or Macfixit about Lombards not being able to install OS X. They eventually were able to trace it down to the production run like you said. Did you check to see if you have one of those CPUs.

There are also seem to be a number of G3/400 Lombards that had the L2 cache fail. 333's seemed to be better

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
333's seemed to be better
I haven't had any problems with the installation of OSX 10.1 or
OSX 10.2 on my Lombard, I had no idea that the 400's had a
problem.
I have OSX 10.2.6 installed on my Lombard with only 384 mb
of ram and it runs pretty quick.

Glad I didn't have enough to buy the 400 when I bought the 333.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow no prblems with the 17". That is a first in the laptop world.
Macnutt, you should look for a 500mhz processor and swap out your 400. Then you will get a speed bump and run OSX. I see them every now and then on ebay.
Robert

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I don't have a Lombard. I have a Pismo 400.

And it won't run OSX. Trust me.

A CPU upgrade would be welcome, if it were cost effective. And it would be doubly welcome if it would allow my Black Beauty to run any form of OSX.

But a 400 dollar upgrade on a laptop that is currently selling for less than seven hundred on ebay seems like a dead end to me.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
And it won't run OSX. Trust me.

A CPU upgrade would be welcome, if it were cost effective.

But a 400 dollar upgrade on a laptop that is currently selling for less than seven hundred on ebay seems like a dead end to me.

Any suggestions?
I'm so not trying any type of physical u/g - other than a new batt (if I find one for a good $).

I would try to find out why X won't run. That's of concern to say the least. I hear that Panther is a God Send for older units (like ours).

What has happened when trying to install X?

What I would suggest so far?? a fix for the X issue, and then see how you feel. Pismo is not worth the h/w u/g. But still an awesome unit with much worth for anyone who likes to tinker around.

H!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Macnutt, how about a downgrade to a 333?????

My 333 and X.2.6 are working fine. Like Dave, I have 384 MB RAM and it is reasonable for speed. Does make me wonder about a Panther upgrade though

Added:
The Lombard CPU issue with OS X is over at macfixit under the Portable Macs forum. Once in do a search for this thread

OS X FREEZE & LOMBARD POWERBOOKS/PART 2

There is a Part 1 and many other links if you hours of time to read through it.

[ January 01, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Kami ]

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Yeah, fine....

This thing has a well known firmware glitch. Plenty of data on this in the Apple forums. One production run of the G3 400 Pismos will NOT...and I repeat NOT run any sort of UNIX based OS.

End of question.

When you try to load OSX , it doesn't even show a HD as a target for the OS. Nada. nothing.

When it does...(two times out of SIXTEEN SEPERATE TRIES!) the whole things runs dog slow and collapses in a mass of kernel panics within 24 hours.

During the painfully short time that OSX is actually upand running...NOTHING works! No printers, no scanners, no USB devices...NA bleedin DA!!

Like I said previously....

If you have any brand new ideas....ones that the APPLE techs, and all of my local resellers, plus everyone here at ehmac, could'nt come up with. After almost THREE WEEKS of trying...

Then I'm all ears. Honest. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts