Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear what people think about Steves comments on laptops replacing desktops.
Is Apple going to consentrate on laptops and phase out desktops? With plug and play peripherals (sp), its easier to use a laptop as a desktop. That 17" screen is nice. What says the group?
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I can see that day happening, and sooner than later. My wife and I, both early Apple and Mac users from the early to mid-80s, are now going laptop to replace our desktops. If I am able to get the new powerbook, then we will have three laptops and one desktop in the house. Granted, mobility has it's price, but the new PB has everything I need in a computer, so my visions of an iMac will have to keep "dancing in my head", along with the sugar plums. C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I have not owned a desktop for two and a half years.

So yes it could mean the beginning of the end of the desktop. But don't hold your breath.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I highly doubt it -- the desktops from Apple will never stop being produced. Desktops always have their better parts over Powerbooks, and are by far way more expandable than Powerbooks.

And if desktops were fully conked out, then what you buy is what you keep - no upgrading, unless it's RAM or a hard drive. Not to mention every single 3rd-party company going out of business with the lack of expand room. :D

I agree that Powerbooks are more verstile, more portable, easier to play around with and take it with you wherever, but it seriously lacks the upgrade path to more parts, so I'll always perfer a desktop. (although having both a desktop and Powerbook would be nice)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
...and are by far way more expandable than Powerbooks.
...no upgrading, unless it's RAM or a hard drive. Not to mention every single 3rd-party company going
...expand room.
...but it seriously lacks the upgrade path to more parts,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bias opinion from Lars and MacUpgradeZone.com

BIAS
NOUN:
1. An inclination to something: bent, cast, disposition, leaning, partiality, penchant, predilection, predisposition, proclivity, proneness, propensity, squint, tendency, trend, turn. See APPROACH, LIKE. 2. An inclination for or against that inhibits impartial judgment: one-sidedness, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, prepossession, tendentiousness

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
My bias is for the powerbook :D ;)

And I was thinking is Apple concered about upgrading? What's in it for them. The only upgrade they benefit from is a new machine.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
This trend has been clear some time and has always been inherent in our arguments against iMacs. If you are going to pay for closed archtiecture that use portable parts then GET A PORTABLE.
I see this killing the iMac not the towers.
I also see the volume being very high.
There is a will be a need for heavy lifting Macs that simply will not be met by the portables but I can see no point in an iMac unless it's a cheap headless unit under $1500.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've replaced my IBM with a Powerbook and couldn't be happier :D
I mostly surf the net, edit photos, documents, watch DVD's at work (night shifts), and a few other minor things.
I like the portability, being able to finish papers at work without having to try to convert files so the Windows puters can read and visa versa, and keeps prying eyes from network admins from going into my files.
I also have an external keyboard and mouse for home and a well equiped carry case with extra mouse, power supply, cables, and drives.
On top of all that, I prefer the screen on my PB over the CRT on my Windows puter. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I was thinking along the lines of the future of work and computing. I see more and more people working on the move.(not chained to a desk) The upgrade factor might be less of a selling point in our ever increasing consumer/ing world. (new? got to have it...now)
This attitude is what drives our economy now. Things don't have to be better/a necessity for use to buy, just new/different.
Anyway, I forsee that Macdoc, Ron W and others like them will do a great business getting the less finacially priviledged a computer and recycle some great machines that get left in the dust.

Robert ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Unless for specific apps that need key 3rd party hardware - like occuying a PCI slot, the desktop is RIP. the only thing that they have is the affordable pricing. outside of that, no kids, no wifey like myself, no need for it. I'm so making new room in the new year with the ditching of my iMac. LOL. ¡Viva el PB!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It seems that although there's been lots of b!tching about Apple's processors being slow compared to the PC counterparts, tonnes of users are willing to sacrifice speed, and pay a premium, for the portability of a PowerBook or iBook. It seems they fulfill most users needs.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
macdoc wrote:
"I see this killing the iMac not the towers."

I agree; while a PowerBook is a powerful computer, a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac is even more powerful

Plus having more than one drive in a machine can be nice (more space, potentially more performance).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Over the past few years, I've moved from an original version iMac, to a first generation Bondi iBook to a maxed out (at the time) 500Mhz TiBook.

I don't think I would ever go back to a desktop model again! :D

I love the compactness and of course, the mobility. I often catch up on a lot of my work late in the evening in my big comfy chair, or even my waterbed. I find I get a lot more work done than if I was in my office or studio -- since I am more comfortable and relaxed. And since we have Airport access throughout the house and studio and backyard, I can work pretty anywhere I want -- really nice on a sunny summer day!

The TiBook has been a godsend for working with clients on-site, as I can "show off" my goodies (websites, graphics, etc) right on the spot if necessary. I have an extremely well-padded and custom fitted case for my TiBook from Willow Designs out in BC, that is so small and narrow, that nobody ever believes that there is a laptop in there -- so I can take it pretty well anywhere and very discreetly compared to most laptops and their cases.

On the other hand, my other half still has quite a penchant for desktops, as he still likes the option of expandability (extra slots, etc.).

So, I think that the new generation of laptops definitely will mean an increase in users, as they discover the ease, comfort and portability of laptops; however, there will always be a need and demand for their larger desktop counterparts... It all depends on the individual and their specific needs -- and budget of course! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Personally I see the desktops moving to a much smaller role, say as the family center where its something to use with the portables as the new personal computers... Can't wait to get my computer next year :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
While watching the Apple video re the new PBs, I thought that rather than producing a "supersized" notebook, they actually produced a "minimalized" desktop. I even received an email from one of the most ardent Wintel supporters/anti-Mac persons I know, who is also a friend of mine, and he said that he saw the Apple website pics and descriptions of the 17" PB, and was very impressed. He is not in a position to purchase a new system just yet, but he wrote that if he was "...in the market for a new desktop or notebook, I would consider the 17 inch Powerbook." Coming from him, this is equivalent to Bill Gates doing an "I switched" promo. Only time will tell if Apple has hit a home run with these two new PBs. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
What is the Bus speed on the AlBook (from the chemical symbol for aluminum)?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dr.G. wrote:
"What is the Bus speed on the AlBook (from the chemical symbol for aluminum)?"

Which one? The 12" has a 133MHz bus (since it uses DDR266 memory), and the 17" has a 166MHz bus (since it uses DDR333 memory).

The thing to watch out for, though, is the fact that the 12" AlBook doesn't have any L3 cache.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Merci, jfpoole. For some reason, this is not on the Apple Spec Sheet on their website, at least not last night.

What might be the advantages of the nVidia card over the ATI 9000?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dr.G. wrote:
"Merci, jfpoole. For some reason, this is not on the Apple Spec Sheet on their website, at least not last night."

I checked last night as well; it wasn't there. I'm just making an educated guess based off of the RAM speeds.

"What might be the advantages of the nVidia card over the ATI 9000?"

I'm not all that familiar with the mobile offerings of nVidia and ATI, but from what I've seen, they have comparable feature sets and comparable performance. I know on the PC side of things nVidia tends to write better drivers, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Merci, once again. I am thinking more along the lines of video editing rather than gaming. Macdoc once explained the differences between the TiPB and the iMac, but now there are different cards to consider. Since I am now ready, depending upon the educator's price here at Memorial, to get the PB, it is not an either or decision anymore. We shall see.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.