Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market.
I'm attracted to the 800 ibook with the 15" lcd but I'm still curious as to why the powerbooks are so pricey?I can get an 800mhz ibook with nice stats for 2400 or so.Why does a powerbook with less to offer (i.e 450mhz,less Vram etc.) cost just as much?Can it really be THAT big of a difference for OSX and the G3-G4?That big of a price difference just due to the G4 type?Somebody explain this to me so I invest in the right machine.
Thanx

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I'm more concerned about performance?
I'm not so much a kid
as i am a poor man :( So I really need to get the best for my buck.
In terms of resale,what will be worth more?Not next year but 2 or 3 from now?
I aggree with the looks point though.Who told them white was a good colour?
Oh yeah,I need an internal cdrw.Do the low end powerbooks have this?Maybe its just me but the new Gen of Pbooks seem to have alot of problems too.I need stability over all else.
Damn.........I just kept going there didnt I?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
No, you can't upgrade the processor in G4 powerbooks (there are daughter card upgrades for older G3 powerbooks, Pismo, etc). You can't upgrade anything in a G4 powerbook apart from RAM and the optical drive (through MCE, a third party company). Depending on the model, G4 powerbooks have a DVD-ROM drive, a CDR drive, a CDR/DVD-ROM combo drive or a superdrive.

Go check an iBook and a G4 out in the flesh. The G4 powerbook is faster for many apps, but not for surfing, writing, etc. Plus, older G4s have crappier video cards than the latest iBooks so more games play better on the latter.

I've a 667 MHz G4 powerbook (still waiting for my 17" order) and my kids have an iBook (dual USB), both have Airport cards. I like both machines but I love the 15" screen on my G4.

I think you'd be better off with the iBook unless you have to do video editing or a lot of Photoshopping.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest it will be used for
1-school
2-surf
3-games
4-work (eventually)
So the 32 Vram is of big importance.
I thought the newest iBook has a 15 lcd?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Given what you plan to use your iBook for, you'd be better off with the iBook. You'll likely not need the extra speed of a G4, and you'll save thousands. Last year, I invested in an iBook600 for business use and I have been very pleased with it.

Having said that, Mac rumour sites are rife (http://www.thinksecret.com/) with stories that the iBook line is due for an imminent speed-bump (maybe as much as a 1Ghz G3), so you might want to hang tight for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
If its for investment/ future resale, go G4 only.
If your not in a hurry, wait till the next OSX release requires. (I fear the G3 chips days are numbered)
I agree 32mb vram is the least you want these days.
A G4 will offer better viewing with its 15.2" screen.
What sort of work will you need it for?
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The large iBook has a 14.1" LCD but it has the same pixel resolution as the 12.1". In other words, the pixels are just physically bigger on the 14.1". Both are currently 1024 x 768. My 667 MHz G4 has a 15.1" screen with 1152 x 768 resolution. The current G4 (867 and 1 GHz) has 1280 x 854. The 17" G4 has 1440 x 900 pixels (and 64 MB of VRAM).

I don't think the next version of OS X will require a G4. 32Mb of VRAM *maybe* (since that's the minimum for QE acceleration).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,it wont be for another 4-5 months so that 1ghz would be real nice.
Work is going to be graphic wise.But at that point I'll be mainly using an ext. monitor so I'm not so worried about that.I'm running a 400mhz w/16mgs vram now and it seems bearable so that 32mgs will be sweet too.The more I think about it the more I lean towards the ibook.I know people look down on them but powermac people looked down on the imac and look where that went right?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
The 14" ibook also weighs more than the G4.
The perfect solution is to get a G4 667/800 DVI model. They have better resolution than the 550/667 G4, L3 cache and are still under warrenty.
(a big plus when it comes to laptops)
You must see the resolution/screen size in person to really decide.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
a used TiBook is a possibility , but also check out the new 12 inch Powerbook 867, its a pretty good deal and it would give you all the basic power you will need for the next few years,
Its more portable than the 14 inch iBook and about the same price, you can always add a monitor.
a thought anyway, its the way I would go if I needed a Mac Portable now

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
a used 667 is not cheap , and kind of hard to get now., click the link at everymac below

667 PB DVI SPECS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
What's the Vram on the 667 model?Burner?
Sounds good to me though.....hmmmmmm....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So....It has come down to this.
A-Pay more for this beast(667) or
B-Pay less for a smaller but slightly comparable beast(800mhz ibook)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Well a 667 just went for $2500 here in the trading post.
I just purchased one for $2300 from Nova Scotia.
They do come up, but you will have to watch out for them. They were only discontinued Nov 2002.
Does the 12" PB have much graphics power considering it has no L3 cache?
Good luck.
Robert

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats pretty much my range and a nice speed too.Got the V and the CDRW....I think this is the machine.Thanks alot for all your advice guys.
Soon I'll have a 667.

....heh heh heh
......It's all coming together......

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts
Careful there are 3 versions of the 667 not all are equal.
That's a very low price - I would not count on a late model in that price range but good luck - there are some coming off lease.
When 17" ship in some numbers there willb e more good machines around

The 800 iBook is a treat and far more durable than the TiBooks
There is reason Apple went Aluminum.
.inspect hinges and frames very carefully

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well when all is said and done I will for sure go check them in the flesh and poke and prod.
Is there possibly a site out there that tests durability of laptops?
Consumer Reports maybe?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts