Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Future Shop is advetising a 500GB external Lacie Hard Drive for $119.00 I think its a really good deal. I checked what kind of hard drive is installed and its a Samsung. Are they any good?

I am also thinking of hooking it up to me Airport Extreme as a network hard drive. I am a little worried about leaving it on constantly ON, should I be?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Future Shop is advetising a 500GB external Lacie Hard Drive for $119.00 I think its a really good deal. I checked what kind of hard drive is installed and its a Samsung. Are they any good?
How do you know it's a Samsung?
I just posted a link to a bunch of reviews of this drive in another thread on ehMac and most people were reporting that it was a Seagate drive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You may not want to leave it on all the time. I just tried a USB drive with my airport extreme, and it seems to spin constantly, even when I'm not accessing it. I think I read a post (on these forums?) where someone complained that their drive died due to the perma-spin.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Interesting!

I guess the drive you get is pot luck.

But to answer your question - I always thought Samsung drives were good quality, up there with Seagate. However, I don't have any myself.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have the 250GB version... and I just noticed that yeah it's still spinning! But I checked my other drive, same thing.....

Anyway, I picked mine up at Factory Direct for $79, +$8 for a year warranty. $119 for the 500GB is a good deal, since it's brand new (mine's refurb'd). Samsung drive in it as well.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
if you look at the top of the picture I posted it has ......LJ ;)
Right you are :D

Now for the good news - you have a SATA II drive with a 16 Meg cache in the enclosure. Those drives have an incredible fast transfer rates - the USB 2.0 interface is a big bottle neck.
In practice, the SATA II drive transfer rate is about ten times as fast as USB 2.0
Great drive to rip out of the enclosure and use internally if you have a SATA II interface.
SAMSUNG HD501LJ Spinpoint T series-hard disk drives

1 - 9 of 9 Posts