ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought an external La Cie 160 GB Firewire Hard Drive about two years ago. Originally I just used it as a back-up HD, plugging it in only when I backed up. Then I needed a second HD as my Mac HD was getting filled. I hooked it up as a second drive. It shut down with the Mac and started up with it - until today. I shut down the Mac as usual but when I restarted, I noticed the La Cie icon didn't mount as usual and the HD was quite warm. I unplugged it and plugged it in again. I received an unable to read do you want to reinitalize message. I shut down the HD for a while, let it cool, restarted it, and it mounted. I saved the contents to another hard drive but the finder crashed a couple of times while doing it and the HD itself seemed to be making some strange noises. I repaired the Mac HD after and also repaired the permissions. At this point I have questions about the La Cie HD. Is it still usable? Any ideas what happened to it. ( It was one without a fan.) If it is not reliable anymore, any suggestions on a more reliable replacement, preferably one that is going to last?

Voyager

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Sounds like your hard drive is dying. It looks like you were able to salvage all your data. Time to replace it.

The cheap way is to crack the case, pull the drive, and just swap it with a new one. The expensive option is to buy a whole new one with a better ventilated case.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guytoronto said:
Sounds like your hard drive is dying. It looks like you were able to salvage all your data. Time to replace it.

The cheap way is to crack the case, pull the drive, and just swap it with a new one. The expensive option is to buy a whole new one with a better ventilated case.
Thanks for the reply guytoronto. Any suggestions as to what drive to get?

Voyager

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Voyager said:
Thanks for the reply guytoronto. Any suggestions as to what drive to get?

Voyager
Seagates - they run fairly cool and are reliable.

·
Registered
399 Posts
MacDoc said:
use externals for backup not critical storage.
Why is that? Are they less reliable than internal HDs?

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
Yes - the envirnonment for the drive and the interface and the constant on/off cycles that most externals suffer make them more prone to failures - just the FW interface alone adds another "failure" component compared to internals.

No question a high end case well fanned helps as does the choice of drives but the reality or portable use, plugging into a variety of computers and cables etc provides opportunity for failure.

If you use a portable drive say with a power book for production use - then you should have a second portable drive for backup.

ALL drives can fail.
External case environments provide additional points of failure, cables, bridge, heat, movement, firmware changes.
So yes external risk is higher over a 3.5" in an internal bay.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I learn something new every day - especially about computers.

Voyager

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking around for a replacement for my LaCie HD. I saw the AcomData HD advertised at FutureShop at a good price but, unlike my previous LaCie, it seems to have problems working properly if my eMac goes to sleep. Acomdata advises making sure the computer never goes to sleep if you want to keep it connected. At least that's what the manual says. As I want to use the external HD as a second hard drive and not have to unmount it each time it goes to sleep or is shut down (and I don't want to have it running 24/7), what choices are out there? Are LaCie hard drives the only ones that can be kept connected to a Mac and have the computer go into sleep mode without being unmounted each time?

Voyager

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Not impressed by Acomdata. Google for problems with Macs.

I would get a MacAlly case or another high quality aluminum case, then install a 5 year warranty Seagate mechanism.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CanadaRAM said:
Not impressed by Acomdata. Google for problems with Macs.

I would get a MacAlly case or another high quality aluminum case, then install a 5 year warranty Seagate mechanism.

Basic questions but what type of interface should I get SATA or ULTRA SATA? 3.5 inch?

Voyager

1 - 11 of 11 Posts