Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Distinguished Citizen
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
I have two MacBooks (1=work and 2=home), both relatively new (USB-C).
I currently run a second display on 1 in a dual-monitor configuration... display is HDMI 1080p and I use a USB-C-to-HDMI adaptor.
I'd like to run the same setup on 2 using the same display again in a dual-monitor configuration, so I'd like to find a KVM switch to switch between the two.
However, when I switch, I don't want my windows on the second display to move back to my MacBook screen (back to a single-monitor mode)... I want both to remain in the dual-monitor configuration whether they are switched or unswitched.
Am I over-thinking this? Do I need a special KVM switch to do this or will any do it?

· Premium Member
16,605 Posts
Am I over-thinking this? Do I need a special KVM switch to do this or will any do it?
An interesting question but I sure certainly do not know, but I did come across this site with a lot of information and a lot of switches and they may have an answer for you, but I didn't realize that KVM switches where or could be so expensive:

Maybe drop them a line and ask them at their contact number.

But maybe you don't even need a switch these days, have a read here and check it out:

Good luck. And I didn't notice a plethora of suggestions or replies.

- Patrick
=======

· Distinguished Citizen
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PM... I had found that first site already and was also a bit shocked at the price of some of these, for a seemingly simple device. Amazon also has a wide range, but one of the comments on one of them mentioned that it reset to a single-screen mode every time it switched, which made me want to write this post.
The software switch is interesting, but only found 1 for Mac, Synergy, but you have to relinquish security for this, so I wasn't prepared to try that.
Hopefully someone has some experience with this, but it looks like ehMac readership is down these days. (I haven't been on for quite a few years myself).

· Premium Member
16,605 Posts
Hopefully someone has some experience with this, but it looks like ehMac readership is down these days. (I haven't been on for quite a few years myself).
I also was rather shocked at those prices and I didn't think a normal KVM switch was so expensive for the Mac.
As for your recent visit to ehMac.ca, I imagine you found quite a difference from your last visit of a few years ago.

It's too bad there haven't been more replies to your post and I don't dare mention another place to search as the moderators will blast the hell out of me again if I do so or worse.

But maybe give OWC (macsales.com) a call and see if they have any advice for you. They are very Mac associated with excellent and moderately priced products and are very Mac knowledgeable on the Mac software that is available.

- Patrick
=======

· Premium Member
16,605 Posts
Patrick, the people you so desperately wanted to leave EhMac were the same people who would take the time to offer expert advice. You have the dead calm you wanted—and no expertise.

Good grief Macfury, What on Earth are you talking about...??? Jeez...
And when did I ever suggest any constructive contributing EhMac member should leave ehMac.ca forums???

You obviously are very mistaken and are posting very misleading erroneous statements and I guess you must have me confused with some other member.

I hope and trust that you will post your appropriate corrections accordingly.

Thank you.

- Patrick
=======

· Premium Member
16,605 Posts
You supported having the "non-constructive" members removed from EhMac. I'm just pointing out that this is the result.

I would then ask you to please do us all a courtesy and support your erroneous information by providing a link to where you say I supported "removing non-constructive members from ehMac."

And I dare say you are not going to be able to do so unless you completely misinterpreted and misunderstood some posting I made.

And there is only one so-called "Mac expert member" that I can recall being deported from the forums which happened many years ago during the days when the mayor was in control due to his obnoxious and often belligerent behavior.

So please provide the information to the source that you claim I made.

Thank you.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 8 of 8 Posts