Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this posted a few times previously but I didn't investigate. Yesterday I was bored and I followed through on the "control for ehMac" post, downloaded the software, went through the available widgets .. what can I say, but ...

HOLY COW!! love it ... what a cool tool!

My favourite widgets are the CPU Portal, the Weather (look! it's foggy this morning and 0º- this is so cool since I don't have a window in my office), the calendar, the big digital clock, a to do list based on my iCal, and a bandwidth monitor.

This is way too cool! I have them set on my palette monitor so they don't take up real estate on my main screen (I'm sure they could be a screen hog). The perfect OS X app - transparent and good looking.

So what's the best widget? Is there something I'm missing? Come on!! feed my new addiction ....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I too am a new user of Konfabulator and echo your praises.

While the weather is great, a guy has to love the ehMac widget. Makes it sooooo easy to monitor the board.

Now if I can only get them to work on a PC so I could use them at work.

Is this possible Chealion?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
To tell the truth, while I think Konfabulator is a neat idea, in practice I hate it. maybe if I had a larger, higher resolution monitor so the widgets didn't take up so much space it would be all right but for the most part, after about a week using it I found it just got in the way.

Instead I use MenuMeters, WeatherPop and now the ehMac RSS feed.

They give me all the info that Konfabulator did, but they get out of my way.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Sinc - A PC version of Konfabulator is in the works, and actively being developed. No word as to when it will be released, but the widget should work on the PC version quite painlessly as it doesn't make any special system calls.

PB - The RSS feed is definitely much nicer if you use News Readers like NetNewsWire, but personally I still prefer the ehMac widget, as it always stays in the background, and when I don't want to use it, I just minimize the posts, and its small and out of the way. (And usually covered).

Konfabulator is awesome, but for those who find screen space at a premium all the time, it may not be the best solution, although I've never found that a problem as what I am working on covers up whatever widgets I have, so they are there covering my empty desktop. (I'm finally cured of my Classic habit of leaving icons by the truckload on the desktop. Making all icons 128x128 helped me keep down the clutter.)

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I too downloaded konfabulator for the first time the other day and tried out various widgets. While i did enjoy the transparency and usefulness of the weather widget, I found many of the others redundant. Trashcan, Airport strength, Battery life...all look great, but are already present right there in the OS.

·
Registered
590 Posts
ehMac Control, Weather and google are always on on my machine. Chealion has done a bang up job on his ehMac widget. The google one is worth downloading as well due to it's tiny footprint and elegant looks. I've tried sports ticker for NFL football but find it frustrating (lots of error messages).

By the way check out the change in my signature, just finished installing a RADEON Mac Edition in my B&W...I will NEVER go back to closed architecture again (in a desktop). :D

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
what's this about an ehmac widget? ive been using konfabulator for a couple weeks and really like it..

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with PosterBoy; Konfabulator is a nice idea in theory, but not so much in practice. Konfabulator widgets would be more appealing if every widget wasn't skinned; not only would they be easier to develop (I think I spent more time on the ehMac widget working in Photoshop than I did BBEdit), they'd look a lot better.

Plus, the nice benefit of the RSS feed is that you get to see the 20 latest articles in all of the forums; with the widget you just see the latest article in each forum. I find it's a lot easier to follow ehMac from the RSS feed than it is from the widget.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Thanks for the answer to my question Chealion.

I am always amazed that when I drop a casual quesion for you in any given thread, you somehow seem to find it.

One has to assume you read every thread thoroughly.

However you do it, you do it well!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The RSS feed is definitely much nicer if you use News Readers like NetNewsWire, but personally I still prefer the ehMac widget, as it always stays in the background, and when I don't want to use it, I just minimize the posts, and its small and out of the way

You can close the NetNewsWire Lite window and have it running in the background, and you can access any new posts to any of your feeds right from the dock icon contextual menu. If that isn't out of the way, I don't know what is.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I should pointed out that I am a little spoiled - I have a 20" Studio Display for my main display and a 15" Studio Display as a palette (or second) display.

I think the Konfabulator tool is great - the simple transparent beauty of the more well written tools is fantastic. They sure take up space, I agree .. and if I didn't have the second monitor I would rethink my statement because they take up so much screen real estate. But it's such a great tool to have, just a quick look to the left and I know my CPU usage, the weather and whatever else I have up ...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
kloan - ehMac Control thread

jfpoole - I know I most likely spent 5 hours in Photoshop to every 1 I was coding. Doing the images and making them look nice seems to take forever.

Sinc - It's no problem to answer your questions.
And yes, as long as I have time I do read every thread, and being able to read quite fast helps that a great deal.

PB - The RSS feed is nicer if your routine includes using a News Reader. But for me, I've never used one, but in the future I most likely will, and for now the widget works well as it never interferes with any work I am working on. It does its business in the background, just like NetNewsWire. Each to his own, but I do prefer the widget.

For the record, it should be known I run 4 widgets all the time on my desktop, occupying 3 corners. They sit there, so if I need the info I just press F9, and I can see the info. I find the Calendar, the weather, ehMac Control, and a countdown clock don't hinder me at all. However I don't use the desktop that much either. At most, I'll have 2 or 3 icons on there, at 128x128, and clean it up rather quickly. For those who use the desktop extensively for icons, Konfabulator will most likely not be your best friend.

I'm glad to hear that some members of ehMac are enjoying it, and it is interesting to see that jfpoole has now made a RSS feed for those use news readers, so unlike the widget, it can run on both PC and Mac.

Either way, happy widgeting or RSSing, depending on your style.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.