Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
such a fun app. i've got battery status, Vancouver's weather, netpulse and airport signal all on my desktop. very cool.

go forth and DOWNLOAD!

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Good luck getting the page to load...it would seem as though they are swamped at the moment. :(

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you're having trouble downloading Konfabulator, you can download it directly here.

I'm not sure what to think of Konfabulator. The widgets are pretty, yes, but I'm not sure how useful they are. Maybe the Big Win of Konfabulator is the SDK (which I've been unable to download due to the site being overloaded) and being able to create custom Widgets quickly and easily. As of right now, though, I'm not sure how useful this'll be once the gee-whiz factor wears off....

Yes, I know I'm no fun :p

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Pretty Damn Funky.

Certainly cool little widgets... Very nicely done...

I am... pleased.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Downloaded it, installed it, ran it for a few restarts.

It's neat and has tremendous potential, but I removed it (app, widgets, .plists) because I couldn't stand the registration nag which won't leave the screen.

What I wondered most about was:
Is it worth nearly $45?, and
What happens when the widget builders start asking for a fee?

On the plus side, it does have great potential for value. If the widgets are as easy to make as they say, then I can see great value for non-US users creating some localized widgets. For that reason alone it is a bit of a revolution in SW.

On the negative side, there is only so much room on the desktop and I'm not the kind of user who will tolerate icons all over the place.

For me, it's not a fifty buck app. I will check it out again in 6 months or so, and re-evaluate.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Been using it for 24 hours, and well, it is very helpful, it allows all those little apps that have been made to be simplified and held under 1 appllication, and well the amount of widgets avail has gone up by 100% in the last day (from 7 new ones to 14... lol)
And well aside from the larger then I would expect $25.00 registration fee that they bug u about, its great. Wish it was only $15.00 though...

·
Registered
63 Posts
"It's neat and has tremendous potential, but I removed it (app, widgets, .plists) because I couldn't stand the registration nag which won't leave the screen"

What registration nag are you referring to. I've been running a few widgets for a couple days now (weather, digital clock and SlashDot) and haven't seen the registration prompt that speak about. Other than when you first launch. I rarely restart however so konfabulator is always running.

Just curious.

So find I really like this app just for the simplicity of nor having to launch multiple programs to see up to minute news, weather, etc. And they're pretty too.

Macman.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
The registration "nag' box is a foreground-permanent, non-dismissable window. You can slide it to the bottom of the screen so only a 15-pixel white bar is visible, but it still gets in the way.

This only appears if you've quit Konfabulator and re-launched it. If I had just left it running, I wouldn't have to deal with it :(

I do think it's a bit overpriced for what it does, but it's certainly pretty eye-candy. The only widget I've found really useful is the RSS feed scrolling across the bottom of my screen (which could use a few more options, like ability to choose between several feeds). I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find another news ticker that would do the job for less (or free).

M.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ahhh! the nag box. Indeed, if you quit out of Konfabulator, the nag box will appear. That said, I was able to move it pretty much all off screen (move it to a side of the screen and it then becomes a mere pixel in size)

For those of you who don't log out or shut down very often, well, don't quit out for a while and you won't see the box...

That said, it's definitely neat, has potential, but won't be everything for everyone for a while.

Still, it's kind of a "mini software revolution" if it's as easy to customize and add on to as advertized...

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
4 1/2 thumbs up for this neat little app.....

Do we have any programers that could write a little widget to read new forum entries on ehMac.ca?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Heart wrote:
Do we have any programers that could write a little widget to read new forum entries on ehMac.ca?

What do you think I'm working on right now :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Go jfpoole!!! Well 3 more widgets have been posted in the last 12 hours, and 2 are rehashes of clocks, so it may take a while for some really good widgets to pop up. I only use the weather one and NetPulse occasionally (as NetPulse won't go into the background, its always in the foreground which is annoying).

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
NetPulse got on my nerves so I turned it off.

I have currently settled for the:
Digital Clock (And turned off the Apple Menu One)
Weather
Battery
Stock Ticker
Calendar
What to Do?
ehMac - New!

And will more than likely start up VersionTracker and Slash Dot in the mornings.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Huh... that's a surprise... I just tossed Konfabulator and all its widgets, since the only one that was of real use to me is the newsticker, and "surely there are other newstickers out there," I thought.

But there seem to be none to be had, apart from "Auntie", which is non-customizable in terms of the RSS feed (you're stuck with the UK BBC national news feed) and is less-minimalist than the widget.

So Konfabulator goes back onto the HD for now....

M.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
jfpoole, found a tiny problem with the ehmac widget... set transparency to something less-than-useful, say, "10", and you can no longer (a) see it (of course) and (b) can't register a control-click on it to get to the preferences.

M

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
CubaMark wrote:
jfpoole, found a tiny problem with the ehmac widget... set transparency to something less-than-useful, say, "10", and you can no longer (a) see it (of course) and (b) can't register a control-click on it to get to the preferences.

I figured (a) would be an issue, but (b) is a bit of a surprise. I'll make sure it's fixed for the next "release".

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I think its definitely become a hit as there are now 27 widgets available for download on top of the 8 packaged with it on their site and then there is jfpoole's great work!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts