Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear ehMacians,

I heard tonight (3rd hand) that police in Toronto told parents at a school that putting photos of your kids on a website is a bad idea.

Assuming my site does not:
1) have my address
2) use my own registered domain[1]
3) contain any other information that could obviously reveal my location

What sort of security risks have you heard of in having your kids pictures on, say a .mac site?

How about using the password protect feature of .mac?
(you can lock the entire site, pretty cool)

I'm somewhat skeptical that it does pose a threat, but I feel compelled to dip into the collective wisdom that is ehMac.

----------
[1] if you take out a domain you generally provide a name and address which anyone can find in a snap

·
Registered
136 Posts
I suppose the principle threat is that it draws attention to your kids - with respect to discovering your personal info if it's not openly displayed I can't answer- but I would definitely err on the side of caution where your kids are concerned...

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Hi, I post photo's of my family on .Mac. I do password protect it and only give the password to people I want to access the site. That being said, no address is posted and no reference to any personal info. So even if it is hacked, there is no frame of reference. Also, to find a .Mac site is not that simple a process given the address somewhat convoluted.
My family and friends really like it. There is no better way to share photo's and quicktime's.
Just use common sense.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the password is a good idea and I have password protected my .mac site.

Interesting point about search engine caching. I cannot find any evidence of .mac sites being google scraped -- mine at least -- but months ago I put a robots.txt in with:
User-agent: *
Disallow:
in my .mac root dir.

Has anyone seen their .mac site indexed by google?
I notice www.apple.com has this same robots.txt .. I swear I did not see this before. Look! http://www.apple.com/robots.txt
but that will not preside over the mac.com domain.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Do you have your or your family's name on the site, or does the site address use part of your name? Ex. MikeRowe.com or MRowe.com. Even with a name it is easy to find the location of people.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Tried every iteration I could think of for our family site on google. No find by google.
This included up to the sitename+mac.com

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I was going to say exactly what Petie said.

.Mac has the option to password-protect your sites, it's just a checkbox to fill in. Give your family members a password and you can have the best of both worlds, pics of your kids for friends and family to see and the security knowing that they are only being seen by people you know.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It seems to me the Police are just asking you to be cautious, and to think about what you're doing. Sounds reasonable to me.

As long as you understand that you are publishing information when you put it on a website, you should be fine. It's not inherently riskier than having your picture or your kid's picture in the newspaper; the same level of care is required.

Password protecting a site is a reasonable precaution, in my opinion. Just keep in mind that the web is forever; pages are often cached and could be viewable 10 years from now, so one mistake could be enough to cause problems.

You might want to try an exercise to get an idea of what the Police may be talking about:

Do a google search on your own name and another on your online username. You should see some stuff, some of it pretty old.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is my Criminology and Sociology training speaking here.

Of course be careful when you place anything in cyberspace - not only on the web but in emails and newsgroups. For example if you have a corporate email you are using - it isn't yours it is the company's property and they can check it anytime they want. Use Canoe or Yahoo for personal stuff.

Why I say this is that according to statistics most crimes against kids are not carried out by unknown boogie-men trolling the streets at night or on the net - it is in 90++% family members, next door neighbours and people close to the child that are usually the offenders. The news makes big noicse about the isolated case like the two little girls abducted in Toronto and the one in Florida - but they are a rare, rare exception.

Start by protecting your children. Give them good information and work from there out. The "Sky is falling" approach to scary men online is not the first area I would look to - to protect your kids. hell I am more worried about clergy - but that's me having grown up in the Catholic school system and witnessed first hand the rampant child abuse. But I digress !

Obviously I wouldn't actively promote my daughter's picture with an address and phone number - but well informed kids and kids armed with GOOD information will be safe.

If something is important for folks (like far away relatives or Grand parents) I would either get them to download a PDF with the pics in a slideshow - or as was mentioned a password protected site. All good ideas.

Or better still! Send grandma a set of snaps! They really like that!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Petie, I have "discovered" a fact of .mac authentication: we all can view your spinning mapleleaf gif hosted on your .mac site, even though is password protected. This is because it was not published by the .mac mechanism but put there manually.
I have a cv/ directory in my .mac site, put there manually, and it is not password protected. All urls such as the form http://homepage.mac.com/XXXX/PhotoAlbum54.html are protected.

Just a reminder to anyone uses .mac web pages built by a 3rd party (in my case, vi
)

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Actually, the spinning maple leaf is not password protected. It is in a separate section of my .Mac site from our Family stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts