Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to buy Keynote and I was told 10.10 or bust. Are we no longer able to grab anything legacy s/w? 10.9 isn't THAT old either. IDK. I was a little annoyed last night at the idea that I had to do a full 10.10 upgrade to buy the new KeyNote.

Anyhow, just checking to see if that's the only option.

Thx

H!

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
I was about to buy Keynote and I was told 10.10 or bust. Are we no longer able to grab anything legacy s/w? 10.9 isn't THAT old either. IDK. I was a little annoyed last night at the idea that I had to do a full 10.10 upgrade to buy the new KeyNote.

Anyhow, just checking to see if that's the only option.

Thx

H!

I agree and pretty stupid on Apple's part, but their loss and that's were a Google search becomes your helping friend:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=MGtiVMvrAsOV8QfI0YHABA

Or you may want to do a search for the iWork ’09 trial version and then use the hints to convert it to a full working version. :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I came to the store to confirm there was no work around possible. Confirmed I could only grab a legacy if I had purchased it prior. But staffer wasn't sure about workarounds.

So I just popped open the lap in the store and just downloaded a trial from '09.

Man, the web. Thank you Tim Berners-Lee.

H!

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Is there some compelling reason why you don't just do the upgrade to 10.10 an just cut out all the dicking around?

Yosemite has been very stable for me since a "nuke 'n' pave" clean install (I always do upgrades the way).

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I thought it was free? Did not apple give away the apps?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
There may very well be a safe place to download the iWork '09 Trial installer - haven't found one yet. And I've just discovered that my iWork '09 disc isn't where I thought it was :yikes: so we're in the same boat.

When / If you find a non-trojan'd installer, you'll also need the iWork '09 .03 upgrader - which I miraculously just found at this link (direct from Apple). It's 380megs, and a very slow download. For whatever reason, Safari wouldn't open the page for me - but Google Chrome would (after I let it sit for awhile). Maybe Apple has relegated all of these old links / files to a Centris 660av machine sitting in a closet down in Jony Ive's workroom?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I thought it was free? Did not apple give away the apps?
I think it was free if you bought a new machine no?? Something like that. IDK. It was complicated.

I still believe there should be a path to @ least one version back. What if I just updated to 10.9 say 4 months ago? I just find it silly to be forced into an OS upgrade JUST for s/w.

For ex, we all know that iOS8 is trash on anything below iPhone 5. Well, I went to grab some app on promo 1 day after iOS8 was released. Guess what? Could not download it as it was iOS8 only. That was so pathetic, I called the app dev out on twitter - not that it mattered, but how do I try it out?? I just can't. They replied w/ some lame excuse.

Oh ya, same goes w/ Keynote on iPad. IOS8 only. SMH. What a damn joke.

You essentially have a set window to buy s/w, or pray there's no OS upgrade as you're forced to that 1st.

So basically, if I wanted to use Keynote on OSX and use the iPhone/iPad as remote, i would have to upgrade to 10.10 and iOS8, and buy both versions. There's something just silly about that. C'mon Tim Cook.

Oh ya, Powerpoint? FREE + iOS 7.1 or later.

C'mon TIm Cook!

Christ, I need a snickers right now.

H!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There may very well be a safe place to download the iWork '09 Trial installer - haven't found one yet. And I've just discovered that my iWork '09 disc isn't where I thought it was :yikes: so we're in the same boat.

When / If you find a non-trojan'd installer, you'll also need the iWork '09 .03 upgrader - which I miraculously just found at this link (direct from Apple). It's 380megs, and a very slow download. For whatever reason, Safari wouldn't open the page for me - but Google Chrome would (after I let it sit for awhile). Maybe Apple has relegated all of these old links / files to a Centris 660av machine sitting in a closet down in Jony Ive's workroom?
Are you using anything right now?? I'm just so annoyed right now, this thankfully made me LOL. Centris. LOL.

Apple is too busy striking deals w/ legacy bands like U2, than creating decent authoring conditions for their users. BTW, i've yet to download that silly LP. I'll trade it for a 1yr old Android phone if anyone is into it? Need it for testing. LOL.

Mavericks isn't even that old! Released Oct 22 2013. DANG. Jokes on us.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
Are you using anything right now??
I have both the iWork '09 suite and the newest Pages / Numbers / Keynote. I have dozens of legacy Keynote '09 files that are impossible to upgrade to the newer version, and many Pages files that likewise will require the original '09 app to open properly.

Still cannot understand why Apple hasn't provided linked text boxes (flowing text) in the new Pages... among other sniggling issues....

As for the Edgesuite/Akamai link - I'd put more faith in that than any of the various other iWork '09 download links out there from sketchy websites... but of course, one never knows. You could use the method linked above to "de-trojan" the iWork Installer. If the suspicious files aren't present, then it's very likely to be clean.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have both the iWork '09 suite and the newest Pages / Numbers / Keynote. I have dozens of legacy Keynote '09 files that are impossible to upgrade to the newer version, and many Pages files that likewise will require the original '09 app to open properly.

Still cannot understand why Apple hasn't provided linked text boxes (flowing text) in the new Pages... among other sniggling issues....

As for the Edgesuite/Akamai link - I'd put more faith in that than any of the various other iWork '09 download links out there from sketchy websites... but of course, one never knows. You could use the method linked above to "de-trojan" the iWork Installer. If the suspicious files aren't present, then it's very likely to be clean.
Well, that link def had an Akamai feel. Let's see now... and thx ahead of time.

H!

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Cool. I've never heard of FileHippo - trustworthy? A quick Google search turns up some complaints about malware / adware in downloaded files.

Just to be safe, if one grabs this file, follow the instructions I posted above to ensure the file does not have a trojan infection.
i have used file hippo all the time when I go to clients with pc computers never had an issue..thats where i grab my anti virus / spyware tools from..
the mac part is new by the looks of things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.