Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I play a popular MMO game (yeah, the one you think LOL) and recently had my account hijacked.

I've scoured my iMac and have no idea how this happened. I don't open suspicious emails, only use trusted popular addons for the game, and don't visit untrusted websites.

My only guess is that perhaps a keylogger is intalled on my Mac. (However, no other info has been taken like bank info etc, so perhaps I'm wrong).

Nonetheless, I'm curious if anyone knows any apps that will scan my Mac for keylogging software.

I do run ClamXav for virus checking, which may or may not do anything really, (never had anything show up) just to keep Windows friends safe and all that.

I'm on an iMac 2007 aluminum, Leopard 10.5.8 if that helps. Everything up to date as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
download Lynis Lynis and rkhunter Rootkit Hunter they are both CLI tools but they may show you if you have anything on there. Most of the time it is just a brute force hack on passwords from finding out info on you from social media.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Some good tips here. I've gotten it all straightned out, but I'll check this stuff out for good measure and future peace of mind.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
853 Posts
My son lost his Runescape account through, what I think, is a brute force attack. I'm going to insist that my kids create stronger passwords from now on it. He's most upset about it.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
My son had his WoW account hijacked a couple of months ago - like most kids, he hadn't created a particularly strong password and he was told by site administrators that there had been a lot of brute force attacks recently. (Gmail and Yahoo have also seen a lot of brute force attacks on email accounts lately)

Create a PW with a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers that mean something to you (for easy recall) but are complete nonsense to anyone else.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yes. Combine your initials with part your phone number and/or your postal code and/or address. Or something of the nature. Never use a single word that can be found in a dictionary.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well for WoW I know there's those random number generater things that you buy from them or get the app on an iPhone. As far as I know, it's virtually impossible to hack those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh heh, yeah I had the mobile authenticator for iPhone and had it removed cause update to ios messed it up. So that's when they got my account and setup their own authenticator!

Anyhow, I got a new crazy random password and the authenticator so I should be good now. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts