Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas time is here and I just got a new Macbook Pro 17'' i7 as an early Christmas/late Birthday gift (so there is no receipt).

I could not be happier. I have recently became a Mac user and my whole life style has changed. Having one for work outside the home will make life all the easier.

Upon receiving it however I was told from a mutual friend that the keyboard is in French. He works for the Apple Store were this was bought and is confident that because I am the registered owner of the computer I could make a Genius appointment and request what is called a 'Keyboard Exchange'. Similar to how users who want a German or Greek keyboard.

I did not open the box in fear of a restocking fee. Though my mutual friend says it shouldn't matter. Opened or not opened. Receipt or no Receipt.

Either way I want to exercise due diligence.

The whole matter has got me curious about the logistics of how this works. So I am looking for some more information.

Can I bring in my laptop that has been recently purchased and get a keyboard exchange with the computer has never been opened without a receipt?

Perhaps I can with a receipt?

What if the computer has been opened and used for say a week after purchase without a receipt?

Perhaps I can with a receipt?

What if it's been a few months? or Years?

What is the process like? When can I expect to get the laptop back?

I ask all this because I have work on Monday and if I can get confirmation on my situation then I can work on my french keyboard this week and send my laptop for repair next weekend while I am on vacation for Christmas. (Assuming it is not a 1 day process)

If I should leave it in the box, then I will take work off Monday.

Thank you so much for your input! I am looking forward to being a proud Canadian Mac User with this being my first post!

P.S. Sharp readers might ask why don't I just keep it in the box and work on the computer I use to work on. Well my old laptop was been returned this weekend after getting my new mbp. I currently have no portable computer to work with!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know why I just didn't call Apple Care.

I just got off the phone. To answer all of my own questions:

Apple Care covers Keyboard Exchange. You can do a Keyboard Exchange anytime you want during your Apple Care period.

It takes about a day to 3 day. (They said it might take 3 days due to Holiday Season)

Thank you all for the support!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.