Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/208609

Toronto Star said:
Justin Trudeau wins nomination

Apr 29, 2007 06:34 PM
Canadian Press

MONTREAL – Justin Trudeau, the son of the late prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau, won his bid to represent the Liberal party in the next federal election.

Party members in the east-end Montreal riding of Papineau gave Trudeau a slim victory on the first ballot.

His local opponents complained that Trudeau – whose first home was 24 Sussex Drive and who grew up in luxury – had no connection to the gritty, blue-collar Papineau.

But the 35-year-old former drama teacher suspended his current university studies and spent several weeks hitting the pavement, selling memberships and getting to know local leaders.

Trudeau invoked the legacy of his famous father in his speech and drew parallels between his current fight and his father's career.

In the fall of 1965, he said, his father ran in the neighbouring Mount Royal riding. Part of that riding now is now included in the Papineau district.

He told crowd members that some of them helped nominate the man who eventually gave Canada one of the most evolved tools for human rights in the world – the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"What you were part of 40 years ago changed Canada forever," he said. "We are all children of the Charter. You can understand how fiercely proud I am to be able to say that your prime minister was also my dad."

But Trudeau said his political dreams are based on future ambitions – not nostalgia.

He said he wants to wrest the riding back from a Bloc Quebecois that seeks to "divide and destroy Canada."

And he also wants the Liberal party to defeat the Conservatives, whom he described as plagiarists stealing policy from the U.S. right.

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion said he was proud of Trudeau.

Dion said the late prime minister's son decided to run by himself and to win by himself, and asked for nothing.

"So he comes in politics by the front door in a very proud way," Dion said in an interview from Toronto.

Less than an hour after the win, Dion had called his new candidate to congratulate him.

"I told him that nobody anymore will pretend to say that he has only a family name in politics," he said. "So from now on, he has also a first name."

Dion said Trudeau will be an asset to the party across Canada.

"He will work to be sure that Canada will enjoy a strong Liberal majority government next time," Dion said.

Questions have swirled around his possible entry into politics since he delivered a stirring eulogy at his father's 2000 funeral.

He came into national prominence on the day he was born.

On Christmas Day 1971, Trudeau became the first child born to a sitting prime minister since John A. Macdonald's youngest daughter.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I'm sure Justin Trudeau will do well in his Montreal riding, but I think it highly unlikely that he will become "Prime Minister by 2012".

His father's legacy tends to polarize the electorate - PET is revered by some, and reviled by others. A party leader should have at least *some* broad national appeal, and Justin Trudeau would pretty much have to change his name to get any traction at all out West.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
And what 'broad national appeal does Harper have??

No mystery to Harper's unpopularity

PM is as likeable as a movie villain

Apr 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Scott Reid
At the risk of angering the acolytes of conventional wisdom, it's time someone pointed out the obvious: Maybe Stephen Harper isn't so damn smart after all.

Of course, in Ottawa these days, such an utterance passes for sacrilege. Those who dare question the Prime Minister's infallibility are called names like heretical, bedlamite or Garth Turner.

Remarkably, it's not just the Conservative caucus who seem captivated. Media and political observers describe Harper with a blend of terror and admiration previously reserved for cinematic bogeyman Keyser Soze. Even members of the opposition parties sermonize on Harper's shrewd, strategic brilliance.

To a degree, you can forgive the Liberals and the NDP. In politics, it is wise to never underestimate your opponent. At the same time, it is equally important to not overestimate his advantage.

In truth, there is plenty of evidence that Harper's political strategy is crude, over-calculated and fundamentally schizophrenic. One thing more: It's not working.

A spate of recent polls show support for Harper's Conservatives once again in retreat, leaving the political class in a twitter. How can this be? Isn't Harper's triumph inevitable?
http://www.thestar.com/article/208205

There is no guarantee of Justin's success and the heritage could equally be a burden.
He's going about entering politics in an admirable manner.

I wish him well.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
And what 'broad national appeal does Harper have??
Even though the latest polls show the Conservatives slipping, they still are essentially tied with the Liberals in Ontario and Quebec - so it is safe to say that they have at least some "broad national appeal" as they have significant support in all regions. Reference: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=9da354d6-27e6-4e7f-9588-8bd3dcf80bfe

On the other hand, anyone named "Trudeau" will have a hard time drumming up any significant support in the West.
There is no guarantee of Justin's success and the heritage could equally be a burden.
My point exactly!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I guess Harper should cut and paste a bogus Paul Martin AKA Liberal smile on his face. That way he can give it to Canadians from behind and they wouldn't mind because he's approachable and loveable just like Paul martin and Jean Chretian... Maybe that JOKER smile might appeal more to the masses in the east.

Everytime Paul Martn or Jean Chretian was on the news I felt dirty and felt liked raped ..oh I guess in a way we all were...only with dirty money..those pretty smiles, the approachable and lovable liberals I miss those Aholes with about as much affection as a BM in the morning...

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Newsflash......The...Toronto....Star...Doesn't....Like....Stephen....Harper.....

Whew, glad to see that the world is still on the same axis it was on Friday.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Newsflash......The...Toronto....Star...Doesn't....Like....Stephen....Harper.....

Whew, glad to see that the world is still on the same axis it was on Friday.
Just because the Harperites like to polarize the electorate and are doing their best with some media, don't go projecting....
Did the editorial board of the Toronto Star not support Harper in the last elections?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
As an Albertan, am I allowed to campaign for the Bloc in that riding???
I suspect that if you started a provincial party in Alberta and attempted to get members elected to parliament, your party would be denied allowing those candidates to stand for election. That is a right apparently only granted to a single province. ;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts