Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i presently have a 700mhz imac. a year from now i plan on buying a tower, because of the slight cost of powermacs i need to save. i am not the best saver. i will be getting an extra $1200 next month...should i buy an apple display now and save it for a year...or should i do my best(not being very good) and try getting it all at once. the reason for upgrading is because i am starting to get frustrated with the impossible to upgrade imac

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
donut
if you can stow the money away for the time it takes to get the rest, then wait to buy evrything at once
You can get interest on the cash.
The technology of monitors may get better and cheaper in a year.
Depending on the mac you get, you may want a certain monitor.
Plus you dont know what you want in a year and it doesnt make sense to spend money on something you wont use for up to a year
Plus a year down the rod, you might find a sweet deal on a used or end of line mac or monitor

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Save it. Apple's monitors get bigger, better, and cheaper. If you buy now, there will be a better display by the time you get your PowerMac. Stick it in a high interest savings account and collect a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Put the money here and forget about it...

DON'T buy a monitor now and stow it away! In a years time there will be a 90% chance that same monitor will be cheaper or for the same price, you can get a bigger display. Put the money away some where, and with the interest you make, get youself even more Ram or a decent set of speakers or something as a reward to yourself for your patience.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm with ehMax on this one. Just save the $$ and just count the days until you get that new unit. I worked on PS files for a few years @ 800x600 screen res (long story) and made it thru. Worry not, you'll be so happy you did.

·
Registered
719 Posts
open a savings account. Save your hard earned money.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The easiest way to save a fairly significant amount ($1200 qualifies) is to buy a GIC with a (for example) 12 month term. Forget about it until it matures, with a decent interest rate as a bonus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts