I Just bought an Emachine tower for my daughter

2.2 Gigahertz speed processor
160 GIG Hard Drive
CDrw/DVDrw
speakers
keyboard + mouse

all for $1000.(plus tax)
with a $65 CDn rebate on a HP printer

All we needed to do was drop in a decent video card and purchase a 17"flat panel and away she went.

Did the homework on this + this EMachine appeared to be the best value I could find.

From my reckoning in the PC world, the EMachine towers appear to be very good value, vs a couple of years ago when you tended to get what you paid for. (i.e Buy Cheap Get Cheap)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Save some money and when that emachine dies in the next year you'll be kicking yourself for wasting your money on it.

I've had family with 3 emachines die within a 18 month period, motherboard, HD, video, USB,

Unfortuately they are not much better than a disposable lighter. use it and throw it away.

Sorry, hopefull you got an extended warranty
_F

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since I am not PC literate, I read alot of reviews on various PC desktops and this specific machine got top marks from PC magazine.

Editor's Choice PC magazine

I took the extended coverage from Future Shop. Spend your dime take your chances. We will see

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I don't know emachines from baked salmon (except for the fact that they offer a 64bit laptop for 1600 bucks US$)...but I HAVE had some experience with the extended warranties from FutureShop. On several different items.

Not worth the paper they're Xeroxed on, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
eMachines has had a "Quality History" which could perhaps best be described as "a wild roller-coaster ride".

Varying from time to time and model to model, eMachines have given PC users products which range from pathetically unreliable to decent performers, basically on a par with such firms as Dell.

There was one incident in particular in eMachines' varied past that involved rebranded machines sold under the Office Depot banner about 3 years ago. Pretty much anyone who bought one ended up in court trying to get their money back; some users had machines that were down for months or never worked at all. Both companies suffered drastic damage to their reputations over that one.

Compared with Gateway, which has on occasion matched eMachines for shoddiness and unreliability but as far as I know never been acclaimed for a good performer, and I see a good fit.

Ideally Gateway will take advantage of eMachines' recent quality improvements, rather than the other way around.

Gateway is a company in trouble; most people who bought one now shop Dell for a replacement. Even the most notorious PC cheapskate has a hard time stifling a chuckle when they see a Gateway on the desktop. Time will tell.

[ February 03, 2004, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
My friend had a EMachine, on board sucky video, no spare PCI slots, had to use usb for ethernet, which meant unhooking his printer everytime he had to go online, his CD rom stopped working after a year, and on top it was a really poor performerabout as fast as a 233 beige G3 except it was like a 466 celeron. A real piece of trash. eMachines biggest claim to fame is making the shoddy PC knockoff of the iMac. Sorry to rag on your purchase man, but eMachines as a company is a real bottom feeder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
eMachines have given PC users products which range from pathetically unreliable to decent performers
I was aware of the dodgy history of EMachines and that is why researched this particular product fairly thoroughly. Many of the reviewers acknowledged the track record but then went on to say this specific machine was a very credible entry. Obviously what reviewers can't do and that is the risk I am taking, is how well is the computer going to stand up over time. So far so good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hopw can you say that this machine is a good value when you have to buy the futureshop extended waranty + video card + screen over the 1000$?

I bought an eMac for my mom. It costed me less than 1200$ for a better waranty, top quality monitor and Apple software. You could have used the super edu discount for her...

Seriously, the eMac must be the most overlooked computer there is.

The only good deal on the eMachine is when Futureshop did a price error and sold them for 600$ all equip (retail 1400$).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts